Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some stuff on the discovery channel that wearing cotton is very bad in the cold weather. What else is good to wear under your coat/recommendations?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by Rainman
[br]I was watching some stuff on the discovery channel that wearing cotton is very bad in the cold weather. What else is good to wear under your coat/recommendations?
Call me lame, but when I was in Boy Scouts that's what we were told to where. It's warm and wicks the moisture AWAY from your body. Which is what you want when you're perspirating in cold weather. Besides, do you know what happens to you if you catch on fire and you're wearing a synthetic? I know it's not likely, but just saying.

Cotton has kept me plenty warm.

Bryan

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I layer my clothes, I wear long john, jeans, insulated socks, columbia long sleeved shirt and a jersey, tekvest, and then my jacket and pants. The vents on the jacket are always opened. Rarely get wet with this set up.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
They say to avoid cotton because if you sweat and the cotten gets wet it will make you all cold and clamy.
Ive always worn a t-shirt under a flannel and then worn my jacket on top of that. I normally wear jeans under my snowpants.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Synthetics keep you much warmer when they get wet. The reason why they say avoid cotton is that it dries very slowly and looses its insulating ability when wet.

Seriously when was the last time you caught on fire? Heh.

·
Registered
477 Posts
like they told me in snowmobile safety COTTON KILLS and that if you want to stay warm that 100% wool is the best because it still insulates when wet. i normally wear some kind of neopreem as a bass layer and and parcial wool sweatter or pants over it but, that is only on really cold days.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
EMS Men's Techwick Midweight Long Underwear

www.ems.com

I layer....but not much. Just this midweight Techwick and my Polaris Escape bib and 3/4 jacket. Never cold or wet.

·
Registered
901 Posts
i usually wear underarmor and a t-shirt when its cold out but if its warm i just wear a t-shirt

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hardly ever wear more then a T-shirt when I ride.....but if it gets cold enough to layer...Silk is the best for the under-garment, with poly-proplene next. Wool is a great insulator, but its not a good 1st layer...some of the newer stuff is pretty sweet too...Gortex for one...Me, I like my leathers...

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I usually wear some pajamas, boxers, and some kind of long sleeve.. then I wear my ZeroXposure jacket, ZeroXposure snow pants, and TOTS boots.

·
Registered
644 Posts
me i got my long jons.. jogging pants or jeans... wool socks... long sleeve shirt with t short over top(keep my chest cozy ) sweater then mu polaris jacket (got a good deal on it:) and my tough duck winter work pants :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
silk,silk,silk..........top and bottom long underware then sweatpants,ski pants over that.My polaris hoodie on top then castle x jacket with castle x gloves.That my friends keeps me warm.As for socks....ski socks and my rocky 800 gram boots.[:D]

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]I layer my clothes, I wear long john, jeans, insulated socks, columbia long sleeved shirt and a jersey, tekvest, and then my jacket and pants. The vents on the jacket are always opened. Rarely get wet with this set up.
That seems like a lot of clothes to me. Id die of sweat with that much on.

I usually wear a cotton tshirt, jeans, 1 pair of socks, ripzone jacket and bibs. Ive been out all day in colder than -30C and i dont get cold. Same setup whether its -5 or -45. Only thing that changes in my boots. Small quick latch boots for most days or huge Baffin boots for the cold days where ill be out all day.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wear a polypropylene top but cotton sweatpants or jeans under my suit. I like the Merino (type of wool, spelling?) wool socks. They are very warm and not itchy so you don't need the poly liner socks. If I'm going powder riding in the mountains I always take a spare pair of socks and gloves to be safe. The temps get warm mid-day when you are playing around in the meadows and it cools off fast at night when you're flying back on the trails. I used to freeze at the end of the day back when I wore cotton. A coat with a removable liner helps a lot too.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by rayrevo
[br]like they told me in snowmobile safety COTTON KILLS and that if you want to stay warm that 100% wool is the best because it still insulates when wet. i normally wear some kind of neopreem as a bass layer and and parcial wool sweatter or pants over it but, that is only on really cold days.
I'm a dope - I meant wool. Heh - it's been a long time. Wool insulates when wet, cotton doesn't.

Bryan

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Depends on the conditions for what i wear, But wool is the best insulator!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I ordered some polypropylene long johns http://www.korkys.com/servlet/Detail?no=203

So hopefully this will work well!

Thanks everyone!!

Rainman

1 - 20 of 33 Posts