Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now i know it doesnt idle at 5k and engage at almost 10k but were could this short be? i checked under the gauge pod and wiggled the wires - wiggles the wires down at the main connection, nothin. tried a different tack, same thing. could the tacks be bad? Had the same issue with my other sled last year but havent started it this year to see if the new wire harness and gauge cluster made a difference. any help would be greatly appreciated. and thanks in advance for any tips suggestions.[thumb]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Haqe46tdLL0

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are your tac's orginal to this sled?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one on the sled is the one that was on it when i bought it last year. not sure if the guy i got it from changed it. The other i tried was not original. i dont remember the tach doing this last year but i bought the sled at the end of the year so i didnt really ride it much. like on the trailer, off the trailer, into storage.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That's a tach for a twin, not a triple. You need a 6 pulse tach (for a triple), not a 2 pulse (for a twin). I'm willing to bet that is a 2 pulse tach because your idle is 5000, which is 3 times normal idle (1666 rpm) and engagement is also 3 times normal (10000/3 = 3333 rpm). 2 pulses X 3 = 6 pulses.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if it is a two pulse, wouldnt the plugs be different? iv never owned a twin before. how do i tell a 2 pulse from a 3 pulse? can you?

·
Registered
394 Posts
plugs are the same i believe, i agree its the wrong tach. Trade a junkyard or someone for a triple tach and give er a try

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill try that. can you tell the two tacks apart? thanks for the help gentlemen.

ok according to a parts breakdown the tach is supposed to be a 6 pulse. Now im confused[dunno]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
polarisguy23 said:
ok according to a parts breakdown the tach is supposed to be a 6 pulse. Now im confused[dunno]
Yes, you need a 6 pulse tach to get proper readings. The one that is currently on the sled is a 2 pulse, which is why your readings are 3 times higher than what they should be. There is an ink stamp on the back of the tach housing that says if it is a 6 pulse or a 2 pulse.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so a 3 pulse tach wont work then right. The tach on the sled and the one i tried are both 3 pulse.
tach from sled
20111321411214_30823.jpg
spare tach i tried
20111321441386_30823.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts