Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install an led strip as the taillight on my 89 indy. The wire colors are yellow brown oarnge, which does what?

·
Registered
848 Posts
The brown is most likely the ground. Yellow/Orange are the positive wires and I'm assuming that one of those works for your running taillight and the other is for your brake, which is brighter than your regular taillight. Either one may work if not, then its pretty easy to find out.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I just wired in my LED taillight this weekend. There are 9 possible combinations, start up the sled and start playing around with combinations. I can't remember what I ended up with, but I know it's not what it was suppose to be. With the brake applied, the brake was suppose to flash. The way I wired it, the light only got brighter with the brake applied. I feel like I didn't need the flashing, so I soldered it up and called it good.

If you connect the brown wire on the LED to the black wire (ground) of the sled's harness, then you only have two combinations to try.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The brown is the ground for sure. The other 2 are the running light and the other is the brake light. What colors do you have on the led light?

·
Registered
161 Posts
gto0209 said:
I am trying to install an led strip as the taillight on my 89 indy. The wire colors are yellow brown oarnge, which does what?
Brown = ground
Yellow = hot (run lights)
Orange = brake lights

I think...haha.

Reactions: Fatcat600

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
71rdrnr said:
gto0209 said:
Brown = ground
Yellow = hot (run lights)
Orange = brake lights

I think...haha.
That sounds about right actually. The head lights are yellow and brown. In theory they should the running lights all around then lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do you want it as running lights? or brake light?
tap into yellow for running lights or orange for brake light.

gto0209 said:
the led has power and ground

·
Registered
848 Posts
What do you mean? Then you wouldn't have a brake light, or you would just have a brake light. I suppose if you wired in a relay you could make it work. But you'd still have multiple wires.

·
Registered
161 Posts
gto0209 said:
is it possible to do both on one strip?
As soon as you hook up the yellow the lights will be always on.
you might be able to make a resister work. Yellow to the resister and the orange bypasses the resister. You may have to try multi resisters to get the leds to dim enough...not sure if led's like changing voltage's...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You should have an LED that is made as a stop/turn & tail. It will have white, red, & black wires.

white - brown
black - yellow
red - orange

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having this problem as well, trying to wire up a newer rush tail light to my 95 488. I've tried every combination I can think of and have constant brake light but when I hit the brakes it dims. I've tried switching the wires all around to fix this but I either have no light or constant brake light. Any help would be appreciated if this thread isn't dead......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts