Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 XLT special with the xtra 12 suspension. I am thinking that taller bars may give me a little more control and also make it easier to stand while riding. I stand almost all the time on my 4-wheeler but since I am 6'5" tall standing while driving my snowmobile is quite awkward.
1) What are the advantages and disadvantages of raising the bars?
2) How much can I raise the bars on a 95 XLT special? I know there are extension kits for the brakes and throttle, but what about the light switch and kill switch?
3) Are there any downsides to having the bars higher?
4) To get the same distance from floor boards to handle bars as my four wheeler has, I would need to raise the bars 6" or more. Would that be a bad thing?

Thanks,

DOC

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
i made mine go up 8" and love it. i took out the oil bottle and re routed the brake lines and all the electric wires and dident have to buy any extentions. you just have to look at how to get the most line so you dont have to get an extender. the only downside of it is if your sled stops fast you hit the bars instead of going over them.
2010215112530703_30620.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Yoldman said:
I have a 95 XLT special with the xtra 12 suspension. I am thinking that taller bars may give me a little more control and also make it easier to stand while riding. I stand almost all the time on my 4-wheeler but since I am 6'5" tall standing while driving my snowmobile is quite awkward.
1) What are the advantages and disadvantages of raising the bars?
2) How much can I raise the bars on a 95 XLT special? I know there are extension kits for the brakes and throttle, but what about the light switch and kill switch?
3) Are there any downsides to having the bars higher?
4) To get the same distance from floor boards to handle bars as my four wheeler has, I would need to raise the bars 6" or more. Would that be a bad thing?

Thanks,

DOC
I have a custom built articulating riser on FrankenStorm which is based on a 96 XLT/SP chassis, with a total of about 6" lift. It locks in 4 positions, straight up from stock (mixed sitting/standing), one position back (sitting), and two positions forward (washboards and ditch banging). This allows me being the average height to ride comfortably for any terrain.

For the throttle extension, I'm using an RXL EFI on a storm engine, so one was necessary. No modifications were necessary to the wiring harness other than rerouting. The brake was extended by rerouting it, and straightening out the steel portion.

2008222141239709_18890.jpg 2008222141229178_18890.jpg

Stormy's above would be great for stand up riding, but be tough for sit down. Like driving an old tractor trailer, almost like having ape hangers on a harley..

sTOrMy96 said:
i made mine go up 8" and love it. i took out the oil bottle and re routed the brake lines and all the electric wires and dident have to buy any extentions. you just have to look at how to get the most line so you dont have to get an extender. the only downside of it is if your sled stops fast you hit the bars instead of going over them.
2010215112530703_30620.jpg
Owww, my nads hurt just thinking about that... Methinks I'll be wrapping my extension in something soft...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
sweet send me some picrures on how you made those... those would be great! when trail rideing my bars suprisingly are easy to turn. the bars are 32" wide total so i have alot of leverage. when driving across a lake i like my bars because i can hold on to the bars with throttle hand and rest my other arm on my leg like bike riders do. they feel like ape hangers but i like them. im haveing my grandpa machine me some risers like the rox ajustable ones. that will be sweet! I ran into my bars once so far and it dident feel to good. the bar pad is even with my junk so when i hit it it dident hurt too bad lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts