Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a tap and die kit and am a little lost on what everything does..I know what the bits do, are there two wrench's? if so how come the smallest bit in there dont fit in either of them? if u guys could just point out what each thing does and give tips and what not. awesome and thanks.
[attachment=58616]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
lol alright from what i took in maching the screws lol tap i beleive is to make the inside threads of the hole and the round flat like guys are to make the threads on the bolt itself theres a few others in there like the file? looking thing and then the other wrench like thing thats about all i dont know

i hope that sheds a little light onto your situation

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Black wrench - For the dies (bolts). Cleaning, fixing, and making threads.

Big silver - For taps (nuts/holes). Cleaning, fixing, and making threads.

T-wrench - For taps, I would guess the smaller ones.

I'm not sure what the thing is in the top right.

I'm not familiar with that particular set, but I assume the T-handle would work for the smaller ones as you wouldn't want to much leverage on them. Why it doesn't fit, I dunno. Are you sure your using it correctly?

What kind of set is it?

I'll do some looking to make sure about the T-handle since I have never seen one before.

*edit* - I got a better view of the T-handle on a craftsmen set. It appears like it should get small enough by spinning the black part, similar to a drill.

·
Registered
985 Posts
the thing the top right is a thread pitch guage. it has lots of plates with notches in the end. you match that to a bolt or nut to give you a thread pitch count. for example National Course thread pitch for a 1/2" bolt is 13. so it has 13 threads per inch. and if you pull out the plate with 13 on the side it match a 1/2" bolt exactly.

the tap wrench will fit a range of taps typically 1/4 to 1/2".

·
Registered
648 Posts
Kind of funny to bring up this topic. I needed a tap the other night to fix a bolt and ended up borrowing a set from my neighbor. I see this in a flyer today and am going to buy a set tomorow. Is this any good?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443278732&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672962&bmUID=1170373576097

[attachment=58633]

Thanks,

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts