Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a clutch kit in my 2002 polaris edge x 500 and i want to get the most power that i can get out of it. I already went down to jet sizes and installed carbon tech reeds and a slp boost bottle. I was very happy with the performance of the sled but i always want more. I like the benefit of the roller clutch since the plastic buttons and brass bushings in the stock clutch are junk after 500 mile anyways. It seems that all the factory polaris riders are using the clutches for a couple of seasons now and i have not heard of any problems with them. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with them on a trail sled if any other calibration had to be done to the primary to compensate.

ride it like a stolen rental

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would suggest not using the team secondary. The only reason is that it's expensive and helix's are expensive. I would suggest using a cat roller secondary. The best thing about a cat roller is that helix's are very cheap, so you can afford to get a few to find out what works best. As for the primary, you can always improve on stock. You just need to know what your target rpm is and then get the setup that hold's that rpm.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price on just the secondary is 329.00 us and this comes with the helix.
Yes the arctic cat clutch is cheaper and i know people who have them laying around. Where would you start with a helix to match. For the 500 sp it makes peak power around 8000 rpm. One guy told me to increase the weights by 2 to 3 grams for a three mph increase sience it revs a little past 8000 rpm.

9 Posts
I have a Polaris roller clutch on my sled it goes over 120mph.i bought the sled with the roller on it. it sticks a little around 100 but thats because it isnt brand new. when it sticks ill let off for a split second then get back on it and its like shifting gears in a car. also its easily adjustable. i would buy one for my sled if i were you

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
for the price of the roller clutch you can buy several polaris springs and helixes. and you still have to tune your primary clutch. i doubt that you can bolt on a team clutch and see a gain worth three hundred bucks against a clock or gun without tunning the primary.
for the money i would get a set of adjustable wieghts, a couple helixes and secondary springs. now with them few parts you have enough clutch combos to make a lake race kit a mountan kit trail kit so on.
the buttons should easily go 2000 miles with some maintanance.

with the wiehgts lets say you have 58 grams. make the adjustable wieght to only 57 grams but move some mass to the tip. keep the stock primaryspring but if you have a silver blue secondary spring i would get the polaris blue it has less side load for a faster up shift but more torsonail load to still give the good backshift on the trails. for helixes get one the next step up from your stock and one the next step down. ie: if you have a 48-34 then get one 50-34 and one 46-34. the bigger the number the harder it pulls.
when you are on the hard pack trail and moving along and punch it out of the corners it should pull hard enough that it takes a second or two to get to 8000 rpm. you dont want it to just jump to that rpm.

remember time it stock and only make one change at a time against a clock or gun then you know if you are making progress or not.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by The Fastest Thing On Snow:
I have a Polaris roller clutch on my sled it goes over 120mph.i bought the sled with the roller on it. it sticks a little around 100 but thats because it isnt brand new. when it sticks ill let off for a split second then get back on it and its like shifting gears in a car. also its easily adjustable. i would buy one for my sled if i were you
[/quote]

This doesn't make sense to me at all. So you are saying any sled with a roller secondary will suddenly go 120 mph? hahahahaha

sledge x, listen to madcow, he seems to have a good grip on this clutching business.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last year I almost bought a heel clicker clutch system for 225.oo us. I know a guy who can get me a good deal on this. This kit comes with weighs three primary springs. The reason I did not buy it was because on Polarisis you have to machine the primary to clear the back of the weights and I could never get a definite answer from anybody if they actually made a difference. I was also looking into the Thunder Shift kit also but never heard of any resuls that I believed. That is the problem with aftermarket companies everyone of them makes huge increases if you bolt them on. The dyno and radar gun never lie. It seems from just about everybody i talk to has a different oponion. If I were to clutch my machine would it make a difference if I would change my gears for more top end or more bottom end depending on conditions with the same setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unless you really know what your doing or are willing to have a bad setup for awhile untill you can find something that works I wouldn't go with the heel clickers. I wouldn't buy the polaris roller secondary, I would buy the team secondary befor the polaris. I would get some different gram weights and try them out. Also try different springs in the primary, and helix's. When your done setting up your sled you could sell the springs, helix's and weights on e-bay to get some of your money back. If you don't want to do the work yourself you could just get a clutch kit from slp or speedwerx.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
You could also get a cluthc kit from www.hotseatperformance.com I have heard they are pretty good.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yes heel clickers work and so does the thundershift kit. i like the thundershift kit for people who use the same sled for racing and trail riding. you have endless adjustability to fine tune with.
to play with polaris clutching you can go to your dealer and get a chart the show secondary and primary spring rates. this will help make tunning a lot easier and faster.
the more you play the more you will learn and gain.
all sleds can benifit greatly from good clutching, gear changes can make big difference on the sled also.
when you build your own clutch kit it takes a lot of time. last years i tried over 30 combinations and came up with 2 good kits. ones a little better if its on hard pack trail and cold the other is more forgiving for conditions but was 1mph slower against the gun. i run that one on the trail because you cant notice one mph but you can notice a more forgiving setup.
oh ya and write down the change to the clutchs and the result after each change. this sounds silly but at the end of the day you will be glad.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have heel clickers on my XCR 8. They are awsome out of the hole but do nothing higher up. Since installing them, my freind with a ski-doo 8 twin cant touch me out of the hole. Roll on from 50 or 60 and we are equal.( for now. muh ha ha) There is so much torque that I have ripped the front left motor mount twice. I always get myself in trouble for the following comments but most of the guys on here will expect it. Dont waste ypur time and money trying to make a 500 faster. trade it in for a BIGGER machine.

hotrod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Team Performance clutch is by far the best performance part I have ever spent the money on. Last year I had the oportunity to test one for awhile, and what a difference it made. I would highly recommend this, I put over 1200 miles on it and loved every second of it. Team offers the clutch as a kit and it comes with a helix. Also each helix has 2 cuts on it, so it is actually 2 helix's in 1, as you could remove the helix and reindex it on a different profile and put it back together. The Team clutch only uses 2 rollers, so therefore you have completely different helix 90 degrees from the one in use. I also think that the helix's are fairly inexpensive at around $70 to $80 each, but in reality you are getting 2 helix's for the price of 1. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts