Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://nh.craigslist.org/rvs/2011627204.html

This guy may trade me his REV for my skidoo 380 and EDGE X 600.
I'm really looking for how much of a pain it would be to fix the chaincase issue.
thanks
TDG

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It needs inside chaincase and a chain. Noon'es got any opinions?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Sounds like it needs the chaincase housing. Pretty simple stuff. Lift the rear of the sled, loosen the track, pull the cover, gears and chain off. Pull the nuts holding the housing on. Start prying and it will work its way off. There are washers(spacers/shims) behind the housing on each stud, do not pull them off. If you mix them up you are screwed. Pretty much the same thing going back in, getting everything to lign up and getting the driveshaft through is the hardest part.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
8000 miles?

You're going to need to look for a couple things. Like why did the chaincase break(they don't just wear out, no matter what the guy tries to tell you chaincases are not a wear item) Is the rear suspension messed up causing the driveshaft to flex? Did the guy land it really hard and mess it up? You're also looking at replacing every bearing in the sled, probably pistons and rings soon and just about every wear item on the sled.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sleds has 440 gears.
The guy was told that he could drop the gear down a tooth, and not have to shorten the chain. He now knows he's wrong, cause it messed up the chaincase according to him.
Woman driven, guys mother bought it brand new in 04.
Says it will need a track soon also.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
tdgbigfoot said:
The sleds has 440 gears.
The guy was told that he could drop the gear down a tooth, and not have to shorten the chain. He now knows he's wrong, cause it messed up the chaincase according to him.
Woman driven, guys mother bought it brand new in 04.
Says it will need a track soon also.
Chain came off and bunched up under a gear and broke the housing most likely. Machine does have a lot of miles but looks well taken care of.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I thought it looks pretty clean too. It has a 3 inch riser and gaurds. I'll see if i can get the guy to trade me, it sounds like a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The chaincase is pretty simple, as explained by others so I wont go in depth. The 500SS is auctally a 600cc motor, its just the non-H.O. version.

Just check general things over, but mostly check compression, dont do it if its under 100 PSI, perferably 110, but I'm sure you know that with all the sleds you have.

If everything looks OK I would go for it! Man you are moving up in the sleds!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dragon700 said:
The chaincase is pretty simple, as explained by others so I wont go in depth. The 500SS is auctally a 600cc motor, its just the non-H.O. version.

Just check general things over, but mostly check compression, dont do it if its under 100 PSI, perferably 110, but I'm sure you know that with all the sleds you have.

If everything looks OK I would go for it! Man you are moving up in the sleds!
Thanks! Yeah thats what im shooting for![thumb]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts