Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be better to use a mechanical or electrical water temp gauge i think both would work relatively the same i watched the video of the electrical gauge set up but would the mechanical work just as good ?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
There are pros and cons of each gauge...alot of it's personal preference and cost factor, IMO.

The mechanical gauges work fine, but need a clear path from the coolant source to the gauge due to the capillary tube. If the capillary tube gets pinched at all, your reading may be faulty, if any reading at all. They are relatively cheap though, which is nice.

The electrical gauges are more universal, IMO. You can simply tap into a coolant line, or in some cases, the cylinder head itself, and simply run a wire up to the gauge, where ever it is mounted. The downside, from what I've found, is that in many cases you need a 12v AC/DC rectifier to power the gauge (unless of course the gauge has one built in, or if you have a battery). They are also more expensive, but make for a cleaner install.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found one that is electrical at carquest it says its for a 12v negative ground system i believe it should work with out a battery but i don't know?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've tried a number of mechanical gauges and none lasted more than a few rides. They just cant take the abuse on a sled and fall apart. I now have a electronic digital gage and it works perfect and has lasted 3 years and counting.
Good vid on how to install electric gauge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMurFZDGQmg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts