Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mxz 670 and just installed a temp and fuel gauge. The fuel gauge works awesome but the temp gauge a different story. The kit number for my sled is 861755700 but is no longer available so I purchased one that is very close. The one I bought is part number 861760800 and am not sure what it is for but the instruction manual makes it sound like an MXZ since it lists engines 670, 583, and 494. The part numbers for the two kits are identical except for the gauge and the wiring harness which wasnt used on a 670. Anyways to the problem I started my sled today for the first time since install and the gauge climbed up after about 2 minutes. After 4 it was redlined. It was at idle in the garage and I have never seen the temp dummy light go on for my sled. However when this is installed the dummy light is inop. I am wondering if maybe the gauge is the difference that is causing the problem, maybe resistance, red line area, I dont know. The coolent is full and I waited until the thermostat opened at least it took some coolant then turned it off for a nasty fear that it is really overheating. When I switched the sender a little coolant came out before I could cover the hole but not much. Do i need to bleed the system, is there air maybe in the system that is making it over heat? I have no idea what to do please help...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sounds like its going to ground and showing you a high temp

Find out exactly what the unit was for, and recheck your wiring, I was going to say you needed to change the sending unit, but I see you did. They really shouldn't be different (different temp gauges) so anything should work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I timed it today and it took 12 minutes to top out the gauge. The wiring is fine seeing how I only had to move one wire over one terminal in the connector and never touched another wire. However while the temp is in red the hoses are only warm you can touch them and hold your hand on them all day. I have no idea what could cause this. the engine doesnt seem hot at all. I am out of ideas any input much appreciated...

·
Registered
707 Posts
IIRC, the temp idiot light will not work. There is only one elec connection off the temp sensor- to the temp gauge. Unless you are running a dual setup.
Depending on how warm it is, it may warm up that fast- gauge may be correct. Are the heat exch warm?- then you know if the coolant is flowing. If not, lift the front of the sled, open bleeder, watch air bubbles escape, feel heat exch.
After reinstalling my rear susp a few weeks ago, I set the track tension, align. I did notice it warmed up fast too. If everything looks good, watch it closely on the first ride. This is my second mxz with the skidoo temp gauge. In decent snow conditions, regardless of air temp, the gauge will run at the EXACT same spot all day, every day. It's a hair below horizontal. In minimal snow (read: dirt), it will climb to almost 3/4 up. That's the highest I've seen and want to see!
The temp gauge is great. Anytime it goes up, even a little, I get into the deep stuff and it goes back down. No chance of anything bad happening.
You'll be glad you installed it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
A sled coolant temp will not heat that fast (12 min) You have a wiring problem not a heating problem, the gauge should have a 2 wire sending unit (for what I've seen) and the dumby light uses a single blade sending unit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put the old sensor in it for the dummy light and ran it and the light never came on. I think it must be something with the gauge any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts