Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about them but how do they work? Would it be possible to just modify the thermostat or whatever it uses to make it come on sooner? Reason being is I want it to come on before my engine gets fucked. I was going to buy a digital temp gauge but I really don't have the cash because all the money I make goes straight to my dad so i can get this sled paid off (Woot, past half way). Anyways, if anyone has any input or if I'd just be wasting my time let me know. It's for my 600RR.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
The temp light should come on quite a bit before you motor is F'ed, You just have to pay attention now and again to see if its on and if it is head for some powder to see if that makes it go off.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
srx_600 said:
The temp light should come on quite a bit before you motor is F'ed, You just have to pay attention now and again to see if its on and if it is head for some powder to see if that makes it go off.
Okay I just thought I read quite a few times that if the light is on you're pretty well already screwed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah, you can put a different thermostat in too to open the coolant lines at a colder temp.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if you really wanted to be creative you would put in a murphy temp switch. so if the temp gets hot it kills the sled. most of the time you wont notice the light is on until its to late.

i have thought about it a lot of wiring the kill switch to the temp circut. that way if it does get hot it shuts down.

·
Registered
591 Posts
you could put an analog temp gauge on it, not sure where you would mount it though, I put one on my triple, and mounted it where the key switch and choke used to be, and moved them down. I put the sender in the coolant rail.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
srx_600 said:
Okay I just thought I read quite a few times that if the light is on you're pretty well already screwed.
That is true if you coolant leaks out, it will fry your motor QUICK if it all leaks out from a burst hose or something, my cousin had that happen a few years ago, he stopped as soon as the light came on but the pistons were just gone[Disappointed]

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
madcow said:
if you really wanted to be creative you would put in a murphy temp switch. so if the temp gets hot it kills the sled. most of the time you wont notice the light is on until its to late.

i have thought about it a lot of wiring the kill switch to the temp circut. that way if it does get hot it shuts down.
Interesting thought, but imagine the first time it happens.. Say about 4 months after you install it, so you've forgotten that you installed it.

Out riding, oblivious to the world, and the sled just dies on ya. Because the light will go off as soon as the motor stops spinning fast enuf to generate power, you don't see it.

MOTHER F%$^ER!!!!

So the sled is dead.

You pull the rope, not seized..

You check for fuel, yep, got fuel..

Spark? F^^K!!! No spark!! Check the kill switch, and key switch, nope..

Tow the sled back, and it starts right up when you go to load it on the trailer..

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
ha that would be funny but atleast you would still have an engine.

chances are that if you blow a hose your temp light wont go off any how. most temp gauges need that contact with water to make them work, if you are low on water the gauge might read cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts