Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my studs so I decided to go take it for a spin to make sure everythings ok before I head up north for 2 weeks on monday.

Theres low snow conditons.. when I hit it hard from a dead stop I hear this horrible grinding noise, like metal on metal. Only happens If I get on it from a dead stop.

Maybe chain tension? Could a loose track effect this? I think maybe Ive heard something about the belt causing this before? Im not sure. Any help??

Thanks, Trenton.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt take anything apart. This is also the first time Ive ridden the sled this year.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
First off check to make sure the studs are not rubbing on anything on the inside. if they arent check the chaincase. also im not all that familiar with that chassis so i would wait a for some more answers.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds to me like the studs are hitting the tunnel. If everything was in good working order at the end of the season, and the only change you made to the sled was adding studs, then this would be the only thing that makes sense to me. Take a look under the sled and look at the tunnel for any scratches from the studs. Also take a look at the front of the tunnel and see if it's hitting up there.

"Maybe chain tension? Could a loose track effect this? I think maybe Ive heard something about the belt causing this before?" I doubt any of these would be the issue with your sled. I don't see how the chain would be making a grinding noise only from a dead stop. A loose track may cause the track to be loose enough for the studs to hit the tunnel, but you don't want to have the track too tight. Also if the track was too loose, I would think that you would hear the grinding noise at high speeds since the track would be more expanded then. Lastly, I'm not sure how a belt would make a grinding noise, but I'm not as familiar with arctic-cats.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO RIDE THE SLED UNTIL YOU FIGURE IT OUT. I know this would seem pretty obvious, but It would be a terrible idea to just ride it how it is for your two weeks vaca and fix it later. Although the noise doesn't happen all the time, that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. Make sure you find the issue prior to riding so you don't get stuck in the middle of the woods without a sled.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out the studs are hitting the tunnel. Not too sure why. Tightened track and it didnt not help.
I have the right size studs....Very confused

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess Im going to have to. Damn. I wonder why they are hitting? Guess I'll figure it out when I get back. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just thinking about it.. Are they easy to put on? Do I have to take anything apart to do so? Not sure If I could get my hands on some before Monday.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you install tunnel protectors when you put the studs in??

Since you have a newer sled, you most likely will pull the old one out, and slide in some taller ones...at least that is what I did on mine.

Burch

Sorry, I missed the previous two posts...had to let the dogs out!

On mine, the old protectors were about a 1/4". The new were about 3/4" tall. Pretty easy on my Ski-Doo...bend back the retainer, and slid the old ones out, then slide the new ones in..

I'd check Dennis Kirk and see what they have. My local MX shop (MXParts NOW in Watervliet, MI) got them for me in a day....they used to do orders over the inter-net so maybe you can check them out (search them on Google).

You are going North for two weeks, maybe you can get them delivered to where you will be staying...I'd load up the sled and do it that way. Or even find them while you are up there.

About 10 minutes to swap them out..provided yours are like mine.

Have a safe trip,

Burch

One more thing...I bolted some sliders in the tunnel of my old WildCat to act as protectors...that is another option if yours do not have them already...

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Dont think my sled comes with them... gonna have to research it when i get out of work.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Where are the studs hitting? What size track are you running? How tall are the studs? To my knowledge the firecat chassis would fit a 1 3/4 tall lug track. At least you should be able to fit a 1.25 lug track with 1.3x studs

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just another thought here. My sled did this to me at the beggining/mid of last winter. I had a bad jackshaft bearing. So when I got on it from a stop it would sound like hell. I replaced it and it was a little better.... Then it turned out I had a groove int he shaft. Fixed that with a new jackshaft this season. So far so good. May be worth checking to see if there is any play in the secondary up down and left right. Hope it is as simple as a protector and makes your trip fun! :D Good luck.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Track is 1.25 studs are 1.40.... I thought about it being a bearing but there are marks on the underside of my tunnel where they hit.. I tightened the track and gunned it again, more marks.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Just for some more info, the studs are scraping at the back of the tunnel proably 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the bumper. They are fairly light scratches now but get worse if you gun it at all. Sled is a 2004 Sabercat 700 and has a 1.25" track with 1.40" studs. By all indications it should be able to fit these easily, even says they can go up to 1.50" on one website. Tried tightening the track and it made no difference, rear skid shock was rebuilt last year so it is fresh. Only other thing is the front shcks aren't adjusted to where they are supposed to be, they are sitting real low, i wouldn't think that has anything to do with it but maybe??? There is no tunnel protectors, there is a smal metal bar that i think was meant to be one on the rear heat exchange but it doesn't do much. He has the old slides so maybe something could be fabbed up for tunnel prtectors but with a 2 week trip coming up..it doesn't need to be rigged. Checked another site they said not to stud the middle 1 1/2 inch of the track for some reason, anyone heard of this?

This thread from hcs gives some more info: http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/244-xfire-128-firecat-03-06-09/25635-attention-firecat-sabercat-owners-studs.html

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Empire087 said:
I read all that, looks like he studded the inside.
Nope.. Followed the template. It scratches from left to right of the tunnel. So not just the middle.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Did you stud the outside of the windows? If so, this is a definate NO-NO,
as is studding the very center of the track. If you've seen the scratch marks on the tunnel,
then it should be painfully obvious why you shouldn't stud these areas.

If you didn't stud these areas, then perhaps
"A picture is worth a thousand words"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts