Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I bought a wrecked Summit and thought it would be cheap and fun to fix it up. I realized that this venture was gonna be a riot since I was going to college and no place to work on it besides the enclosed trailer outside my apartment. The parts I replaced: Hood, belly pan, trailing arms, one shock assembly, all four radius rods, front bumper and bracket, windshield, one ski, carbides, exhaust pipe, one hand warmer, and spedo cable. /snofan/../images/users/Ski-Donkey Wizard/Sled4.jpg

I did all the work with that red toolbox in the front and a socket set. I had to strip it down to the chassis back to the gas tank because the front corner of the frame was smashed in about 6 inches. After I got it back from the frame shop - they only charged 300 bucks to straighten it out and weld some support material in there. I got some used and some new parts and slapped her together.
/snofan/../images/users/Ski-Donkey Wizard/Sled2.jpg

A good mechanic always has spare parts when he is finished.....
/snofan/../images/users/Ski-Donkey Wizard/Wallofparts1.jpg

Here is one for the admins - you can see my sweet system in the background!
/snofan/../images/users/Ski-Donkey Wizard/Sledmotor1.jpg

I believe that the original owner had sent the sled down the hill with no rider to collect the insurance check. After the work was done I had not saved any money vs. going to a dealership and buying one and I spent a lot more time using words my sailor friends taught me, but I did get it finished up. My friend Mike dropped the hood and cracked it - the shmutz! Oh well a few weeks later after it had spent some time upside down it looked ok. I did get it finished and it even ran when I was done.
/snofan/../images/users/Ski-Donkey Wizard/neal1.JPG

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
it musta been good experience to work on ur sled like that, now when it breaks down u have expereince w/ that sled and know exactly what is goin on

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It's great to be able to say "yeah it was a wreck but guys I fixed it and look at 'er now!"

Been through that one too many times and find the money not saved and more importantly the hassle makes you buy an unwrecked one next time. Looks good though, nice work! Weird looking superman you got go'n there [:)]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I did not buy two sleds but I did have the parts lined up ahead of time for the most part. I paid 2k for the wreck and put about 1500-1700 into it. I do also agree that tearing down a sled is a good way to learn it however this was not a simple deal and should be done only by sledheads that know a thing or two about it otherwise you could be in for a suprise. I have ripped into almost every sled that I have had and have had a fun time doing it. I wish I would have saved the pictures before it was fixed but oh well. Doing a superman like that is caused from one to many concussions....../snofan/../images/users/Ski-Donkey Wizard/Warning.jpg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks SledHead and bigwilly. Well I bought the sled around the 1st of November and finished it up about 2 weeks later. Going to College and having a part time job limited my time but I did get it done just in time to enjoy the only 6" of snow all winter....

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, How much was the hood, and where did you purchase it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the hood from the dealership - $580. I had about a 1000 bill at the dealership. The used parts were about 700 I think.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Cool, must have been hard working in a trailer. Oh well, looks like she's good to go now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts