Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on Ebay and paid $555 in total. Needs some work for sure but for that price it was a good blank slate to start on!!! Hood needs paint, tunnel needs paint/powdercoating, needs new seat, and general work but I have big plans in the future.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177443._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177446._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177441._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177439._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177437._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177434._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177431._xfImport[/ATTACH]

What do you think????? I am so pumped for this season and can't wait to have both sleds going in the future!!
[thumb]

I plan to keep this thread going also with questions in the future.

·
Registered
567 Posts
awesome looks good gonna be a good project

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Looks like a nice sled for the money! Hope it doesnt give you any trouble. Dont forget to update your sled!

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Will be a nice improvement over the 76 pantera! Have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot guys! I started up the last few days and it sounded boggy. But right now I see/hear some track ratcheting. What could be the cause of the ratcheting? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Is the track just loose? Check out the drivers to make sure they look good. I am guessing the carbs could use a cleaning.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Real nice sled for the money, and I second that motion that RMK-KING stated.^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check tension, I guess it may be loose. But it's efi, so how do I work on boggyness in an efi? Now this is the battery EFI, is it worth keeping on there or should I tear it off and switch to carbs?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
ClassicCat76 said:
I'll check tension, I guess it may be loose. But it's efi, so how do I work on boggyness in an efi? Now this is the battery EFI, is it worth keeping on there or should I tear it off and switch to carbs?
I wouldn't be in to much of a hurry makeing big changes till you get that sled cleaned up, meaning fresh plugs , gas, oil ect..... run it on the stand and clear it out, just may have to run the cob webs out!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
change yor plugs still wouldnt hurt to clean the injection system buddys 98 mnt cat 600 did the same thing bogging changed plugs goos gas an carb cleaner ran greaT

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^I totally agree. But I'm asking opinions on the reliablility and performance of this early EFI system versus the twin carbs.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Run some injector cleaner through it first.
Then check the clutches for free movement (dirty sticking clutches will cause a bog on acceleration).
The EFI system is nearly fool proof on those, so, just do some basic maintenance and it will give you many years of trouble free operation.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
OldCatRider said:
Run some injector cleaner through it first.
Then check the clutches for free movement (dirty sticking clutches will cause a bog on acceleration).
[highlight=yellow]The EFI system is nearly fool proof on those, so, just do some basic maintenance and it will give you many years of trouble free operation[/highlight=yellow].
Pretty much says it ALL!!![thumb]

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^Ok sounds good. I plan on cleaning the whole EFI system (and sled) and going through it with a fine tooth comb when I am WAY more familiar with the system so I don't cock it up.

I learned that the track tension is LOOSE! Gotta tighten that up.

I started tonight by removing the headlight and windshield. The plastic is brittle in some spots and I broke the tab that the light mounts to. I think maybe some JB weld might hold it together?

I then removed some of the decals because this hood is going to get painted eventually.

I found out this has an LED tail light. Good or bad thing?

Also should there be a cover on the fuse box? And will the battery leak acid when carving?

I know this is alot to take in but any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Oh yeah, also if anyone knows where I can get a colored headlight cover I'd like to know!!!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Unless there are cracks or missing caps, the battery is good even upside down.
The fuse box may have had a cover at one time, but is not necessary unless it gets covered in snow/water.

LED tail light is ok.
Check the online retailers for that light cover.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
ClassicCat76 said:
Found this on Ebay and paid $555 in total. Needs some work for sure but for that price it was a good blank slate to start on!!! Hood needs paint, tunnel needs paint/powdercoating, needs new seat, and general work but I have big plans in the future.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177444._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177447._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177442._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177440._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177438._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177435._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177432._xfImport[/ATTACH]

What do you think????? I am so pumped for this season and can't wait to have both sleds going in the future!!
[thumb]

I plan to keep this thread going also with questions in the future.
You didn't happen to buy that sled off a guy named Brian in Bloomington did you?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OldCatRider said:
Unless there are cracks or missing caps, the battery is good even upside down.
The fuse box may have had a cover at one time, but is not necessary unless it gets covered in snow/water.

LED tail light is ok.
Check the online retailers for that light cover.
Any suggestions for retailers?

No this sled is from Bemidji.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found a brand new purple one on eBay.(R)lol. I think that it will look good on the sled.
All the decals are off and it's all black now and I don't know what I'm going to do for decals yet but I'm getting it painted soon.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anybody know how to remove the seat? Do you have to take the skid out? Can you remove the seat with out the gas tank connected?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
If it's like my '98 ZR, which it should be, there is 2 nuts/bolts in the rear storage compartment. The seat and tank should come off as one whole unit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts