Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you all think of the old high mark comps people had back in the day and if they new about what it would have led to how much higher people set the standerds in this day and age and how high they will go in the future

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I think he is referring to the "olden" days and having high mark competitions with old sleds and now with todays technology going places that were once though to be untouchable.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
^ oh ok thanks for clearing that up for me SRX. The technology today compared to a sled back then has changed greatly. for example one thing I noticed is that in 98 when companies started to put high performance twins in mountain sleds that affected what how a sled could do in the mountains because it proved that a twin was very competitive with triple mountain sleds that were created. Even a sled that is 5yrs old is becoming old technology because technology is working so fast

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There is a hill by my house that my dad used to ride his 70's polaris 440 on when he was a kid, he said back then if you could make it up turkey hill your sled was bada$$. we went there last year and i practicly did a catwalk all the way up it and it was no prob at all. its amazing how sleds have evolved.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The new sleds these days have no longer make for a "highmark" competition. It isn't a question of who makes it furthest up, since most big sleds make it there everytime, but rather which route you are going to take.

I have noticed that when I switch off sleds with some of these younger guys, that only know big CC sleds, that they just don't seem to be able to take the old XLT as high as I can.

I always enjoy getting into the mix of things with bigger sleds. I nevedr go straight up the faces they do, but lots of them admit they never thought a "small" sled could go where I take it. I just enjoy the challenge of picking the line and making it work to get to the top. Just pulling the trigger on tons of HP is easy and ,for me at least, it does get boring after a while. When I look at a face that was considered unclimbable for decades and see a turbo Yamaha break trail to the top, straight line with the skis in the air the whole way I have to ask where the skill is in that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry ya i was talking about the old compations but when i go to the moutains theres always people that cant aford the big bad sleds so its kinda fun just to watch the old five and six hundreds try to out do each other

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
AKnarrowback said:
The new sleds these days have no longer make for a "highmark" competition. Most big sleds make it there everytime.
Not trying to be a smart ass, but say that again after seeing these. Widowmaker boys. 20107231814561_29105.jpg
20107231814614_29105.jpg
201072318146701_29105.jpg

·
Registered
918 Posts
Which Widowmaker is that. The one in the Snowy Range really aint that hard. If you have a sled set up right with bigger than a 144" track and a pipe you can make it with a good line. A couple guys I know catwalked all the way up without a prob. Given they have some crazy sleds still.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
That is the Snowy Range. No one topped it when we were there, granted we were on 3 feet of frest powder. In my second picture, the open area to the left, now that is a tall mo fo.

·
Registered
567 Posts
just depends on the day at widow maker crusty snow ill take a 440 sno pro up it 3 feet of powder my 900 king cat with a 162 or my rx1 when it was turboed would have had a hard time thats where when you grow rifing the older under powered sleds like an xlt or el tigre or an older summit that you learn how to side hill and make it to the top

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
AKnarrowback said:
The new sleds these days have no longer make for a "highmark" competition. It isn't a question of who makes it furthest up, since most big sleds make it there everytime, but rather which route you are going to take.

I have noticed that when I switch off sleds with some of these younger guys, that only know big CC sleds, that they just don't seem to be able to take the old XLT as high as I can.

I always enjoy getting into the mix of things with bigger sleds. I nevedr go straight up the faces they do, but lots of them admit they never thought a "small" sled could go where I take it. I just enjoy the challenge of picking the line and making it work to get to the top. Just pulling the trigger on tons of HP is easy and ,for me at least, it does get boring after a while. When I look at a face that was considered unclimbable for decades and see a turbo Yamaha break trail to the top, straight line with the skis in the air the whole way I have to ask where the skill is in that.
A good rider goes a long ways. Ive got a buddy in his 40s, he rides a 98 mxz 440 fan that he longtracked. Its amazing where he can take that thing. Knowing the snow and the sled and what they are going to do are the keys to highmarking.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
http://www.vimeo.com/5050308

M6 153" track, stock. Granted I cheated and used tracks, but so did everyone else. All the other high marks are made with at least an 800.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
ACG said:
http://www.vimeo.com/5050308

M6 153" track, stock. Granted I cheated and used tracks, but so did everyone else. All the other high marks are made with at least an 800.
I can't tell, is that Widowmaker in WY?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
201072517515445_365.jpg

No...it is Mount Watson in the Uintas in Utah.

·
Registered
567 Posts
yet another sick mountain to climb

·
Registered
918 Posts
Dragon700 said:
That is the Snowy Range. No one topped it when we were there, granted we were on 3 feet of frest powder. In my second picture, the open area to the left, now that is a tall mo fo.
It had a foot of fresh on the bottom and it was even more on top and I made it 3/4 way up and my sled was set up way wrong and running poorly.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Dragon700 said:
ACG said:
201072517515445_365.jpg

No...it is Mount Watson in the Uintas in Utah.
Just curious, whats Google Earth say the elevation for that is?
2010726133548889_365.png

11200 according to Garmin Base Camp. Where I was climbing, the north side of the east face it probably wasn't that, probably closer to 11,000

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts