Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1998 polaris xc 700 this past season. It ran great until the last mile of a ride in late
feb. It started to leak coolant from the cyl. base gasket( is this a common problem on these?). So I
took the motor apart to replace the gaskets and o-rings and when it was apart I noticed that the cylinders were two different part numbers one was a 5131824 and the other was a 5131220. The only difference that I can see is the exhaust port is oval on one and more rectangle on the other. Now can I run it this way or should I match the two cyl. the other problem I found that the 824 cyl is cracked
between the large and the small exhaust ports. I found a place in Fon du lac that can repair the cracks and recoat the cylinder for $250 or should I just look for a good 220 cyl ? I would also like to replace the pistons I was leaning towards OEM pistons any other recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Even if a crack was repaired I would be leary...
You should be able to find a nice 220 jug for cheaper than $250. If I remember right, the 220 jugs are the more favorable ones.

Since you know where Fon du Lac is, have you heard of Emerson's in Hermantown, MN? Great guy to work with, selling quality parts for very reasonable prices.
http://www.usedsnowmobileparts.net/

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Even if a crack was repaired I would be leary...
You should be able to find a nice 220 jug for cheaper than $250. If I remember right, the 220 jugs are the more favorable ones.
You should be fine with the cracked cylinder. I have personally run them like that and so have the mechanics at my local dealer.
I have also ran a couple 700's with the miss matched cylinders, it will not cause any problems.
220's are the more favorable cylinder but most people would not be able to tell the difference between the two. [thumb]
A leaking base gaskit is not very common, the only reasen they should leak is if was either to loose or to tight when the previous owner did the top end job.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The difference between the cylinders is what you have found out in the ports, 220's were ported more aggressively and were dropped by Polaris later in '98 due to ring snagging. As for pistons, drop in a set of the SPI T-Moly's. If you need 824 cylinder and T-Moly pistons, I have them, cylinder has been just re-honed, and pistons are brand new

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Is Dennis stocking parts now too....man you got it all!

For a price comparo...Millenium Technologies does an exchange program and they have like new cyl's in boxes ready to ship for $214 with your core.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
whitexc said:
Is Dennis stocking parts now too....man you got it all!

For a price comparo...Millenium Technologies does an exchange program and they have like new cyl's in boxes ready to ship for $214 with your core.
Just a few extra parts, MX86 is thinking a 800 SB, so, I'm going to start down sizing!! BTW Kevin, Millennium's cylinder's are not new, just core's that have been re-welded and Nickasyl'd, same one's that you send into them for a core charge

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I said "like" new as in ready to run....but yes you are correct. One of the two I recieved had been welded, the other just re-plated. I mention them because I was very pleased with their customer service, which for me goes far, but there are many other places out there.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but don't the 220's have a little bit more HP than the 824's If u look on the side or the block it should say 220 on it some where on there polaris also had 220 cylinders on the 97 RMK 700's. I heard somewhere on this site that some people find a way to blend the 824's and the 220's together to get the HP of the 220's but have the durability of the 824's is this true?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
whitexc said:
I said "like" new as in ready to run....but yes you are correct. One of the two I recieved had been welded, the other just re-plated. I mention them because I was very pleased with their customer service, which for me goes far, but there are many other places out there.
[amazon][amazon][amazon]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts