Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have about 250 miles and 4 rides in on the Vector. Figured it would be a good time for an official review.

Pros:
-Great, consistent power band
-Ergonomics
-Don't worry about adding oil every day
-Rear exhaust

Cons:
-Heavy
-Suspension
-Not great gas mileage

Those mentioned above are just the basic ones I remember. I will go into detail in the following paragraphs.

First off we will go with the good things. The power band on this thing is amazing. I didn't really notice right away due to riding in powder. Got this thing on the trail and it never stopped pulling until it reached it's top speed so far of 90. Everyone that has rode it has mentioned that. It is not the initial burst of power like a 2 stroke but an extremely consistent power. Every time I have gone out riding I feel the engine loosening up more and gaining more power. I wonder when it will get fully broken in and reach its full potential. From what I have read it takes awhile for these engines to finally reach their potential. Seems to do fairly well in the powder, I still need to learn how to ride in the powder we have up here as I am not used to it, but it does alright. If you say you haven't gotten stuck, you are a liar. It isn't going to out climb an RMK, M8 or a Summit stock, but it will hold its own.

I really do like the ergonomics of this machine. Not true rider forward but close enough it is easily converted to be a truly rider forward. The stock handlebar riser is awesome. Pretty much perfect for my height. Instrument cluster is pretty easy to read and understand. It could use a few more functions though. Handwarmers and thumbwarmer = best I have ever seen. There has got to be about 8 settings on each. And very easily controlled and easy to see where they are set at.

Where to start on the 4 strokes...Best thing is is that you do not have to worry about carrying around gallons of oil. I have a quart with me in my truck in case it is low when I start out. Oil level hasn't changed since I have owned the machine.

I rode a 900 RMK for a few miles today. It had a few mods done to it including a pipe and a can. This just made me realize how nice having that rear exhaust is. Even when I do through on the under the tunnel exhaust on, it won't be near as loud. Don't get me wrong, I love the smell of 2 stroke, but fresh 2 stroke only. Usually the sledding jacket is used only for sledding because it stinks after riding for a day. Not with the 4 stroke and rear exhaust. Another thing with the stock set up is the muffler is right below the pouch in the seat. The pouch is basically heated. Goggles fog up? Throw them in there and ride for a few minutes, all thawed out and good to go. Water froze, throw it in there for awhile and you will be good to go.

Now we can go with the cons. First and foremost it is heavy. I expected that but there are always trade offs. It isn't as heavy as everyone assumes a 4 stroke to be though. Still takes 2 people to load or unload it into the back of a truck. It can be a little heavy when you get it stuck but what sleds don't seem heavy when stuck at 9000'? There are however alot of ways to lighten this machine up that are relatively inexpensive.

The last couple of rides we have ended up riding some pretty rough trails. This suspension is bad. Not at all meant for hard hits. But then again I am used to the stiff suspension of the Pro X2. Might have to do some tweaking with that this summer to stiffen it up.

The big hype about 4 strokes and gas mileage is not true in mountain riding. It might get a little better mileage than everyone else but nothing to brag about. If everyone with a digital gas gauge has 2 bars of gas left at the end of the day I will have 3, or maybe 4.

To sum it all up. I am pretty happy with this sled. It is no 2 stroke, but it does have quite a few perks about it. Everyone that has rode it has been awed about the power band on it. I am new to riding in the steep and deep so will have to see how it performs once I learn how to ride around here a little better. On my grading scale I will give it a "B". Now my basis for that is the Pro X2 is my "A" sled. I liked the feel of this sled alot better than an M7 and the RMK I rode today was pretty comparable. I am pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Thanks for the review. It's nice to hear about them from someone that isn't on yamaha's payroll.

Quick question. Do you forsee the exhaust under the seat being a future fire hazard. If it's has warm in there as it seems with thawing frozen water after awhile, could it not light up after a few years once things start to "fall apart".

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Thanks for the honest reply. I don't know to many people that have the vector but the apex reviews sound similar. All except for the suspension. Hows the snow comin along over there?

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
Good review, but what made you go with the vector over a RMK,summit, or a M6? I got to ride a Apex last year and the powerband was the same as you mentioned,there was no high point, but instead a steady strong pull all the way through the powerband.I was impressed. Bottom end power was the only thing I thought it lacked a little over a modern 2 stroke.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To answer all 3 previous replies:

Blackcat: I am pretty sure there is a layer of heat shielding for protection. It doesn't get super hot, just warm. And this summer I plan on going with under the tunnel exhaust to save a few pounds and gain a tad bit of powder. So no more heated pouch.

WY_Rider: Snow is pitiful here. Rode all day and found about an acre of powder about a foot and half deep. We tore it up in a matter of minutes. The rest was some boondocking, trail riding and finding some half decent jumps. Maybe I just ride especially hard on rough trails but the suspension is real soft. Even the guy that rode it down that same trail mentioned it too.

RMK-King: You know me, I want to be different. Reasons I went with the Vector were basically: Oil consumption, gas mileage, and wanted to try out what the 4 stroke was all about. Another factor was the engine is going to outlast the chassis by far. So it might actually be worth modding the engine and throwing on that turbo or super to bring it up around 200hp. I love the way it rides and the added HP couldn't hurt. And the bottom end on mine is excellent. Right after engagement it lacks a little but you just have to learn how much throttle and how long to grab it as with any other sled.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Great review. What suspension is in that? My monoshock the dealer changed the clip setting and it was alot better but still alittle soft. No miles this year to try and make it better.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you ride some powder, why didnt you get a Rage? (136") I cant imagine the Vector is going to be much of a powder sled with only a 121" track.
Dont be too worried the fuel economy. Its going to take at least 500-700 to break that motor in. They usually pull about 20 mpg on trails, but I dunno what it will get in powder.
All in all it sounds like you like the Vector, but just like any other sled it needs a little tweaking to make it even more perfect.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Octane
[br]If you ride some powder, why didnt you get a Rage? (136") I cant imagine the Vector is going to be much of a powder sled with only a 121" track.
Dont be too worried the fuel economy. Its going to take at least 500-700 to break that motor in. They usually pull about 20 mpg on trails, but I dunno what it will get in powder.
All in all it sounds like you like the Vector, but just like any other sled it needs a little tweaking to make it even more perfect.
RSVector Mountain is what I have. 151" track.

[attachment=46429]

[attachment=50654]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Great review and good to hear some real world input. I've been thinking of a 4 stroke also and wanted to hear what others opinions are right now. I've been mainly concerned with the weight issue, but looking at some of the bigger 2 strokes it doesn't seem that much of an issue now.

By the way; I still think a product review forum would be a good addition to the site. With the manufactures coming out with new products each year, and all the aftermarket/accessory stuff, would really help out members on what works and what doesn't.[:)]

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by scumpman
[br]Great review and good to hear some real world input. I've been thinking of a 4 stroke also and wanted to hear what others opinions are right now. I've been mainly concerned with the weight issue, but looking at some of the bigger 2 strokes it doesn't seem that much of an issue now.

By the way; I still think a product review forum would be a good addition to the site. With the manufactures coming out with new products each year, and all the aftermarket/accessory stuff, would really help out members on what works and what doesn't.[:)]
My advice would be to go ride one. There really is no way to write about how it feels. It is a completely different type of power you get out of a 4 stroke. Go and see if you are able to demo one for a few days or rent one. Or just be like me and go all out and purchase a brand new one. [;)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts