1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
It just goes to show what sanctioned racing has become,a giant pissing match,and above all if you don't have big $$$'s you can't even think about competing,the ISR has had such a stranglehold on the rules for so long it will never be what it once was,this is the main reason that so many once flourishing sanction bodies have gone the wayside,and now this is why you see many run what you brung grudge style races going on,this above all is one of the reasons I race on asphalt,and of course all of the crazy costs and rules about what you can or cannot do adds to me not wanting to ever try, the bottom line is if you want to compete in sanctioned racing whether it be ice,snow,or grass you had better make sure to have deep pockets.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the part about the 1000's, they're too far out of control to try to reign in... So instead they setup the rules for the smaller CC classes so that the factory sponsored teams can't get beat by more prepared smaller teams with older sleds.

What bugged me most, was the ISR giving twins a 70 to 90 pound weight advantage over the triples.

But having said that.. Why would twins need a 70 to 90 lb advantage over triples if they are better than triples? Hummm, oh wait I get it, they aren't......... lol

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I honestly have zero opinion on this issue, I own twins, just because I like the chassis's and I'm stubborn. I just like getting people fired up! [;)]

To each their own.....

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Again this all boils down to....dare I say politics?well sort of,the reason for the weight break is plain and simple,they are trying to make the class,which ever it may be,competitive whether it is a triple or a twin,I'm gonna use Pro Stock 700 as a example(I don't think this is even a ISR class anymore)a PS 700 triple cas make 190-200 HP and some high dollar motors up to 210,now here comes the PS700 twin,with everything thrown at it and the kitchen sink,big money involved and if tuned to perfection on average will be in the high 170-low 180 HP range,so to keep the amount of class's down they give the twin a LB. break to stay competitive, and as you said the ISR does not want the little guys to come in and beat the $$$ teams,there is however a new format that is slowly trying to work it's way into the circuits,and that is index class racing,and it is all about running a certain number no matter what CC your sled is,so you could have well tuned 600 twin running against some guys bone stock turd bigger cc sled and still be competitive,over all it is just too much for me to take in,I think that is why I just stick to my local show up at the lake with what I have and just try to have fun on my limited budget,but even that gets frustrating at time because there is always the guys with the big IS or even PS sleds that think that it is ok to line up with average trail improved pump gas sleds(what I have) and beat their chests when they win every time,but they won't go over to the other track where the "real" big dogs run,so in the end all these guys are proving is that they are just beating a lesser sled,but when they do get beat by the lesser sled they seem to disappear quickly or go to the trailer to get the TURBO or NITROUS SLED out,and again my budget cannot compete in that arena,so the debate will go on and the rules will be what they are,I will be the same guy with his same old junk just out trying to have fun.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Twins=light and easier to throw down...the best for snocross and cross country.

Triples=heavy but fast...great for drags,ice, and really good groomed trails.

So, it really doesn't matter. Pick the one you that best suits you! Twins for me.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
PolarisPredatorTLD500 said:
Twins=light and easier to throw down...the best for snocross and cross country.

Triples=[highlight=yellow]heavy[/highlight=yellow] but fast...great for drags,ice, and really good groomed trails.

So, it really doesn't matter. Pick the one you that best suits you! Twins for me.
Triples are not that much heavier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
skidoo600racer said:
Ya look at the specs, a 96 xcr 600 is lighter by 40 pounds then a 2007 F5.
Thats because its on a 1996 chassis. This is about triple motors[/color=red]. Triple motors themselves are not much if at all heavier than twins. There is a picture floating around of a twin on a scale next to a triple and the weights are similar.[/color=black]

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Dragon700 said:
skidoo600racer said:
Thats because its on a 1996 chassis. This is about triple motors[/color=red]. Triple motors themselves are not much if at all heavier than twins. There is a picture floating around of a twin on a scale next to a triple and the weights are similar.[/color=black]

that is what I was refering to.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
littlemel said:
Dragon700 said:
skidoo600racer said:

that is what I was refering to.

I can see a triple being lighter than a twin easy. Not all triple engines are heavy and not all twins are light. I bet a 500 triple is lighter than a 1100 twin...

I really don't like triples vs twin crap... there is no proof one is better than the other because there is an unlimited snout of set ups for each.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Very interesting read.This should be fun to watch.Just curious,could it be the money sponsoring the events has alot of pull towards the rules?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
98700xc said:
It just goes to show what sanctioned racing has become,a giant pissing match,and above all if you don't have big $$$'s you can't even think about competing,the ISR has had such a stranglehold on the rules for so long it will never be what it once was,this is the main reason that so many once flourishing sanction bodies have gone the wayside,and now this is why you see many run what you brung grudge style races going on,this above all is one of the reasons I race on asphalt,and of course all of the crazy costs and rules about what you can or cannot do adds to me not wanting to ever try, the bottom line is if you want to compete in sanctioned racing whether it be ice,snow,or grass you had better make sure to have deep pockets.
And that is why if I can ever find the time and money I want to race here. Hell, maybe we can even start up a snowmobile Lemons race too!
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
powersledder said:
And that is why if I can ever find the time and money I want to race here. Hell, maybe we can even start up a snowmobile Lemons race too!
Wow, a 24 hour sled race? Sounds like a blast.. [beatup]

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
powersledder said:
Wow, a 24 hour sled race? Sounds like a blast.. [beatup]
They actually only have one or two 24 hr races a season. The point is anyone can race, only limited is your car has to costs less than $500. This keeps the playing field level. It brings out each drivers skills, not based on how deep their wallet is.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Dragon700 said:
skidoo600racer said:
Thats because its on a 1996 chassis. This is about triple motors[/color=red]. Triple motors themselves are not much if at all heavier than twins. [highlight=yellow]There is a picture floating around of a twin on a scale next to a triple and the weights are similar.[/color=black][/highlight=yellow]

pretty sure Ugly Old Poo posted that pic

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You mean this one?

I grabbed that somewhere and put it in my gallery. I have no idea the original source.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Imagine if poo came out with a direct injected 800 tripple. I think it would be the best motor ever made. Ass load of power on tap and it geets good gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
You mean this one?

I grabbed that somewhere and put it in my gallery. I have no idea the original source.
This is the one, and a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks Poo...[thumb] [:D]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts