Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
zecow224 said:
Imagine if poo came out with a direct injected 800 tripple. I think it would be the best motor ever made. Ass load of power on tap and it geets good gas mileage.
That would be relatively easy on a Storm 800, but a real bitch on the XCR 800..

Too bad everyone would want it on he XCR 800. [xx(]

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
You mean this one?

I grabbed that somewhere and put it in my gallery. I have no idea the original source.
Hey, I have that exact same motor,the one on the right,97 Polaris 700 domestic twin,its in my 97 SKS,that little piggie is gonna get a warming up for next season,the first thing to go is gonna be that bastard block style 1 piece head,have a hot seat billet on the shelf waiting to get installed,then some Boyesen reed petals and my SLP single,maybe even pull the 220's and do a little rough casting smoothing in the transfer ports,hell with the price of gas it might just get turned into a drag sled also,as trips up north to go trail riding are just getting to be too costly,when the round trip in the truck along starts costing $200,then add fuel for the sled and food and fuel for the body,well its just sounds like I'm gonna go back to being a local lake junky,and then who knows,maybe I'll have to have poo kid build me a fuelie setup for a triple and give that a whirl.....[beatup][beatup][beatup]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i remember reading about the asphalt guys and they were wanting to make more 1000 twin classes. as it was the 1000 twins had to run against the triples. the asphalt isnt a 500' grass drag where you could be 50 hp under a guy and if you get the hole shot you win. with asphalt there is plenty of distance for a bad hole shot and big power to catch up and run down a guy. the twins were complaining that they simply could not compete even with all the weight advantages.

its only a couple years and other than 1000 and bigger you wont see any triples in racing anymore. like so many topics and other sports before, the factorys push rule changes to favor the newer stuff.

in most racing there is age limits that you can run for bodys in the racing. then there are restrictions to what engines can go where.

heck its getting to the point that in some racing an early edge sled is to old to run stock class with.

the records prove that even though triples are 10+ years older they are the ones that set the records.

but if you have no place to race your big triple then what are you going to do with it?

·
Registered
375 Posts
madcow said:
its only a couple years and other than 1000 and bigger you wont see any triples in racing anymore. like so many topics and other sports before, the factorys push rule changes to favor the newer stuff.
I have to agree with you here. A lot of the factories push rule changes like you mentioned. An example I think of when I hear this is the 4 stroke coming into motocross and supercross racing. They were allowed to be around twice the size of a 2 stroke (125 2T vs. 250 4 stroke and 250 2T vs 450 four stroke). More people came to riding 4 strokes as all the factory riders ended up racing them and this set the trend for the weekend warriors and casual riders. For most riders this became a good (easier to ride) and bad (rebuilding the motor costs way more than a 2T) thing.

So since the factories aren't producing triple two stroke sleds anymore there will be more classes that may favor twins in the near future.

Overall, I'm still going to stick with what I said before about using the one that best suits your riding.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
There's one thing we can agree on, triples can flat run. Why are the manufacturers not building them? The answer is because a good portion of them where extremely unreliable and they aren't as easy to tune as twins. That makes twins superior in my book. This topic will never end, but some people love them and have a use for triples and all the power to them. As for the weight thing, I don't think its a big topic because its bull$hit. But who cares, triples are in ancient sleds, with or without the triple they are tanks compared to modern sleds. Just my. 02

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, with EFI, the tuning part of sleds is pretty much done with, so take that out of the equation.

Aside from that, triples run like s**t with single pipes, and triple piping the new chassis will be a real motherf****r and too expensive for corporate to swallow. So we will not see them again unless the chassis designs change allowing easy piping.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
with big bore triple guys getting into turbos on them i think this summer maybe but by next winter in the mountains and summer at grass drags you might start to see the rise of the triple again.

keep in mind that there are big bore triples making not a lot less power on pure motor than the twin turbos or 4 strokes on boost. start putting water craft engines on nitrous or boost and it becomes a very one sided race.

to the average trail with todays chassis, if you locked the hood and gave them an 800xcr powered sled. noone would be able to tell the difference. other than ultra smooth, not burning down or having cranks fail, easy starting and huge low and mid range power with top end hp that doesnt quit. other than that no one could tell a difference.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well I would have to say that I have my ultra sks set at two sizes smaller on the main jets and one slot higher on the needle jet with this setting my 680 triple is getting 12-14 mpg's. I had a polaris 488 that would get about 11-12 mpg but never adjusted anything with it from stock. So if you are saying that the triples are pigs yea they are a heavier and they feel to me more stable. My uncle has a ski-doo with a 670. Every year he races me and looses from any speed and any distance. It is about 1.5-2 sleds that I beat him. So I love my triple and they sound like no other sled out there. LOVE THEM TRIPLES! V6 vs V8.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i had both and i prefer the tripple. i had a bone stock xlt and that was nice but i was getting beat by twins so afterwords i droped in that 88 indy 650 motor with porting and polishing, tripple pipes and ufo's and threw on a preditor track and fully studded it and it is a totaly different experiance now. my father inlaw has a 97 xlt and its pretty quick but i can waste him. at any point from the start to wot. my other buddie has a 700 and i can pretty much take him to. you also have to remember that in the twin vs. tripple thing is that it all depends on your setup. everything from hp to the clutching and your hook up. what good does 1000 hp do for you if your track just sits there and spin? it does you nothing until your at wot. so go figure. i love the sound of my sled and i wouldnt change a thing except to get my electrical issues fixed.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
[lurker]

Well at this point in my life I really dont know what side of the fense I am on. I own one twin and two trips. My wifes 600 trip single pipe wil go all day on little gas and oil and still a lot of fun on the trails with a smooth running motor. My twin trail sled has throttle response like no other, a real fun ditch banging machine that has never left me stranded.Now my baby 600 3x3 is a little different from my twin. To me its the pure hp pull that all the trips have and all triple guys know what Im talking about, how that motor will just jump in rpms and pull to you want to stop. Plus what hp numbers people are getting out of these "old tanks" is amazing.

So in the end I love them both...the amazing torque out of a well tuned twin,he sound of a triple, days I want to play in the ditches or shoot from corner to corner or race across the lake I can go in the garage and grab the one that best meets my needs for that ride.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
show me a 250 hp twin on pure motor and 1000 cc's.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok, I'll let the cat out of the bag, I picked up another sled.. (bringing it home today)

Its a 96 XCR 600 SP, with an 800 big bore top end. (the 600 jugs had the sleeves pressed out, re-bored, and 800 sleeves pressed in) Instead of putting the Ultra triple into my SKS, this chassis is going to get the mod triple for grass drags, and the SKS is going to keep the mod twin that's going into it now.

I'll go through the whole motor, port and polish, mill the heads, stuff in the 10k rpm pipes, add fuel injection, and have hopefully have it ready for next summer's grass drags.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Ok, I'll let the cat out of the bag, I picked up another sled.. (bringing it home today)

Its a 96 XCR 600 SP, with an 800 big bore top end. (the 600 jugs had the sleeves pressed out, re-bored, and 800 sleeves pressed in) Instead of putting the Ultra triple into my SKS, this chassis is going to get the mod triple for grass drags, and the SKS is going to keep the mod twin that's going into it now.

I'll go through the whole motor, port and polish, mill the heads, stuff in the 10k rpm pipes, add fuel injection, and have hopefully have it ready for next summer's grass drags.
Is that the xcr ive been seeing on craigslist? If it was he had 2, one stock and the other was the big bore.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
IndyRXL said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

Is that the xcr ive been seeing on craigslist? If it was he had 2, one stock and the other was the big bore.
Twas the pair... The nicer looking one had motor issues (my buddy wanted that one). The other someone had bumped something and damaged the nosecone, it had an 800 big-bore in pieces.

Both had decent picked tracks, his has an after-market xtra-12 put in it, and mine has the xtra-10 with fox shocks. they both look like they'd been raced a bit, but fairly well maintained. About 5k miles each.

He also has a 94 XLT for sale that fired right up for sale.. I think he's asking $400.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
madcow said:
i remember reading about the asphalt guys and they were wanting to make more 1000 twin classes. as it was the 1000 twins had to run against the triples. the asphalt isnt a 500' grass drag where you could be 50 hp under a guy and if you get the hole shot you win. with asphalt there is plenty of distance for a bad hole shot and big power to catch up and run down a guy. the twins were complaining that they simply could not compete even with all the weight advantages.

in most racing there is age limits that you can run for bodys in the racing. then there are restrictions to what engines can go where.

heck its getting to the point that in some racing an early edge sled is to old to run stock class with.

the records prove that even though triples are 10+ years older they are the ones that set the records.

but if you have no place to race your big triple then what are you going to do with it?
4 yrs ago at BIR there was one ass clown silly enough to take a brand new ski doo (twin) and turn it into an asphalt racer, he was running 121 MPH in a qaurter mile compared to the 151 MPH the older poo and doo triples were running, the next year he built another brand new twin doo, with the same results...last year he didnt even bother showing up...just shows what happens when twins are forced to run the same cc's and weight as a triple and not given a weight advantage or a head start [thumb]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a massively modified prostock 800 triple, 10000 rpm pipes, huge porting and 52 mm roundslides. Just put it on the asphalt with clutching way off and gearing way to tall it was 9.90 at 135 on the asphalt.
I've had 9second bikes that don't pull 60 ft times even close to this sled, I think there is huge potential with this Storm...😁

I also have a 2008 m8 with an ovs race gas set up as my mountain sled. Seat of the pants tells me the triple is quicker. If we don't get any snow this year I will tell you which one is faster, cause I'll put the turbo on the asphalt!

·
Registered
409 Posts
had two trip 600's then got twin 700- very similar- very very similar.......... loved both types. 600 trip has great mid-low end to mid high end power. twin 700 is totally awesome mid to mid-high end. my two 600's would probably beat the 700 off the line to about 60 then the 700 would pass it by. weight is only a very small diff.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts