Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to first apoligize if this is too long of a story.

I have an uncle who used to be into snowmobiles, Polaris' to be exact, he was into them when the triples were a big craze. He would trail ride them and take them to the ice drags sometimes. He had a lot of work done to every sled he bought (port work, overboring, custom pipes, clutch work, etc.........).
The last time he rode was back in 1999, he was at an ice drag race here in Michigan and made a pass, hit a bump on the lake, tossed him sideways and rolled his 1997 Polaris Ultra, this thing was a monster, he ran it in the modified production class. Tore the hood off, bent the handlebars, took all the switches off the handlebars, bent one of the skis all up, just made a mess of everything.
He tried riding his other sled the next couple of weekends, that sled was also a monster, it was a 1995 Polaris XCR (piped, clutched, bored over), but he was in too much pain.
The following year, all of his riding buddies seem to have got out of the sport, so his sleds sat, the next few years go by and he never had the ambition to get the sleds out, so again.........they sat.

Last year at christmas we were all sitting around the table playing some poker, having a few christmas beers, getting into the spirit of the holidays if you know what i mean, and i ask him what hes going to do with these sleds. Now keep in mind that i have been trying to get these sleds off his hands for the last 8 or 9 years and he always said the same thing........"nobodys getting nothing". So at this point im just asking to be a dick. Well i ask him and he says "just come get the f#@$ing things". I thought it was the booze talking but i called him the next day and he said come get them, so i did.

Well the XCR needed some carb cleaning, new plugs and fuel lines, and she fired right up, my girlfriend rode it all year last year, loves it.
Now the ultra is another story, i started on it last winter off and on. I spent countless hours on finding parts, bending things back together, cleaning everthing after sitting for 11 years. This year i really got going on it, got a new hood, new ski, new handlebars with all the switches, i did it slowly and took my time, today was the final missing piece, a kill switch. Put some fresh gas in it, put the pipes back on it, and she fired right up. i cant wait to ride this thing, im just afraid he will want them back.

There is nothing better then 2 free sleds that run like these sleds do. My only concern is the voltage regulators, this one has 2 of them, could someone with an ultra send me a picture of how they are supposed to be hooked up?

Just thought i would share this story, im usually not a story teller on these websites but thought i should share it with people who might appreciate the work that goes into these.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
any pics?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont have any before pics, and the hoods not done yet (still deciding on color i want to do) but i will get pics when the hoods all done..............

Any ideas on what to do for a paint job?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Your imagination is the limit. Well, that and your skills. There are many custom painted sleds out there. You just have to do what YOU like. Do a Google search for "custom paint" and you'll find plenty of ideas. It can be difficult to explain custom work sometimes...

Oh, as said before, lucky bassturd!!! Hope you have a good time with those sleds.[thumb]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts