Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is very cold. my brother in law fell thru the ice on his snowmobile lastnight. he had my nephews girlfriend on the back of his sledand we went thru a channel that had hundreds of tracks on it and his back end fell thru the ice. the front end is still on the ice. but by the end of it with me on my new sled and nephew on my old sled we got them back to a heated beer tent. i fell in trying to get them out of the water and my feet were solid blocks of ice.i do have tosay people in wisconsin kick arse tho. people gave use stuff from dry clothes to some lady took off her socks for me and gave em to me. thing i dont get is that anywhere else on the lake is 22 plus inches of ice.well sorry for long post.

bobby

·
Registered
59 Posts
This has been a major problem in WI this year and you are very very damn lucky. Several people have gone through the ice in the Milwaukee area and perished. All snowmobile incidents. Several went through the ice in MI also and died. Just because it has been so cold so long does not mean the ice will freeze over. The sun hits the ice during the day which warms everything up and there is no snow to insulate. Have heard of comments from old timers that do not remember ever seeing certain areas of lake open at this time of year that are now open.

Personally I am staying away from any deep water. I will go to the local marsh if we ever get a couple of inches of snow. My life and family are too important to me.

I'm not RAGGING on anyone. I just would like to let everyone know that going through the ice has caused too many deaths this year and most, if not all, going through ice accidents have involved sleds! Be patient, or trailer to where the trails have snow!!!

Mark

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this was about 2 to 4 feet offthe shore that he went in and it was snow covered the ice was wierd. there was like 2 or 3 inches of ice then open water under it like 5 or 6 inches then solid ice again. i grew up on a lake for 18 years and have never seen this before. and this was my first time ever falling in also. reason why we are all ok is because noone panicked.we were all like ok what do we do now.i was trying to map out a solid walking path to dry land when i fell in. his sled is still in the ice and im leaving in a hour or so to go get it.
well on a good note my zr kicks Arse. thing flies and now with ice studs in the track it grips like no other sled ive ever ridden.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
we've been going on the marsh a lot and I bought a cheap screwdriver set ($3 from Kmart) cut and then ground the ends to a sharp point. Attached one of those sunglasses floating straps around each and I always have those half hanging out of my windshield bag for quick accesss should I go through. You just gotta go fast enough, no problems then [;)]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah there could have been just a small creek coming into the lake, that caused just enough current to keep that ice thin...

OH! and glad everyone is okay!

·
Registered
127 Posts
We just got through pulling my sled out the water,after falling through today.Yes on the people willing to help.walked to the back of a house and the woman on the back poarced wasted no time in getting warmed up and help.Couple of ice fishermen and some friends and it is in a garage drying out now,
Rich

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
get it started and up to operating temp ASAP!!! that is the most important thing you can do when you sink a sled.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i put my 79 tx through the ice before. We got it insise as fast as possible pulled all the drain (carbs crank). Still one of the carbs cracked inside. It is good that people will help in a situation like that. The people in grand beach were great to us.

Rich

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Had someone go through are lake a couple of weeks ago (I just found out now)... A group of 4 sleds... The one had engine troubles and his sled quit.. . So 1 other guy came up to help him, stoped and they both went through... They climbed out and went to the nearest cottage, broke in and started a fire... And there sleds are in about 200 ft. of water (that is not a typo)... Both brand new...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got the sled in a heated garage yesterday afternoon.We pumped as much water out as we could and fill it up with oil.Went back this morning and got it started and running good.Broke my windshield and lost my tach.I figured I got off cheap.
Rich

1 - 12 of 12 Posts