Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Past couple of weeks made me get serious about this snowmobile season, i saw the snow start flying so i got to work.

I have a 1996 Zrt 600. I recently bought a Brand New 1" 1/4 shotgun track. I began my project by Removing my suspension, and as i made my way to the jackshaft i realized that my Bearings and Seals were completely shot. $82.95 later the zrt has brand new bearings.

Also on my first year of the riding the sled, i rode it completely stock. The suspension was set to my weight, but not to my riding style. I knew the sleds suspension had maxed out a few times in the first year but i didnt realize the damage until today . A great big 6 inch gash in the bottom of the tunnel, also the heat exchanger had taken a couple stud wounds.

[red]Anyone have any suggestions on fixing the cut in the Tunnel?[/red]

Also recently have purchased a D&D Can, V Force 3 Reeds, a used set of Black Magic clutch springs and weights, none of which have been installed yet. I also would like to do some Cosmetics to the sled before the riding season hits. Startng with Customizing the stock windsheild, repainting screen kit, head light cover, skid plate, and new running boards.

[red]Any suggestions on what colors i should run with on the ZRT? Orange or Green? [/red]

Looks like the next couple days are going to be busy, ill keep you guys updated with pictures. Will post pictures later tonight after work.

~SLEDHEADX69

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
To fix the tunnel I would put a piece of aluminum up inside, and weld it, fill it all in, grind it down and paint it, but I'm a freak like that. Here's a pic of my 1996 ZRT 600 in green, the screens are green to, you just can't tell in that pic because of the lighting. I like green better then orange.

[attachment=49028]

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i just got home from a used part dealer. Picked my self up a new Heat exchanger. My previous one had some damage to the outside and 2 stud holes.

Good idea ZRT600, that is exactly what i think i am going to do. I am taking my sled probubly with me to the shop next weekend and will do all my welding and grinding there.

On the Agenda today is, getting the jackshaft back together, and seeing what the new track looks like in the sled, lol.

[red]My new track has 96 predrilled holes already in the track, and for the pattern that they have set up for holes on the track i believe you can do 196 studs, How many 1 1/4 inch studs should i put in? And Specific Pattern?[/red]

·
Registered
764 Posts
[attachment=52816]
thats the ETT Skid in my 96 that i just toasted, from the 40 miles i put on it, it seemed well worth the time and effort, let me know if you are interested in doing something like this and i'll get you the links to the directions and pictures

·
Registered
101 Posts
here's my orange bellypan and green loops. also has a green snowflap. i personally don't care for colored hood vents in any color.
http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/10/005/63/B6/F3/30/M0VoQ-BjHRprI3OUl3Yu9kkhZjJkt0ek0300.jpg
http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/11/004/7C/FB/2C/61/R-D+MEKo4E3lKSxVOxkk9OQ5UUcCJ7vM0300.jpg

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to be ordering my Cosmetics today, tell me what you think.

Green Ski Loops
Green Skid Plate
Orange Bar Grips
Green Snow Flap
Green Headlight Cover

I already have green powermadd bar gaurds...
Do you think it is going to be to much Green, should i do more orange.

And i think i might have to borrow mycat8urskidoo's idea with painting the tips of the Can, Looks sharp mycat8urskidoo

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
im glad you went with the green!!! I say keep the cats green and black!! About the tunnel i would also weld in a plate on the inside of the tunnel and grind it down to make it look better

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
is there alot of metal missing from the tear in the tunnel? ide try to get it back together as close as possible and then weld it and grind it smooth. but the other idea is a good one as well. but after that is done ide get some tunnel protectors put up under there could save it from happening again

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The green is definitly going to look good i think. I just went out to the garage and got some pictures for ya guys, leave me some comments on what you think...
[attachment=52915]
^^The Tear in the Tunnel
[attachment=52916]
[attachment=52917]
^^ The old track, lol, that is supposed to be 244 studs, i think i may have lost a few over the years.
[attachment=52920]
[attachment=52921]
[attachment=52922]
^^Trimmed the windsheild, and added chrome window trim, Not Bad Eh?
[attachment=52923]
^^Can
[attachment=52924]
^^Ripped apart
[attachment=52925]
^^Refab'ed the clutch side motor mount, had an issue with it for a while snapping, I added in a Grade 8 bolt, Harder Metal Mount, and reinforced it with an other Grade 8 bolt, works as a stopper incase of the motor torquing. I have Done 1200 miles since and havent had a problem.
[attachment=52926]
^^New vs. Old Bearing, lol a little worne out.
[attachment=52927]
^^My new 1 1/4 inch shotgun track, lot better then the old eh?

~SLEDHEADX69

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Looks good, I was gonna say go with the green or black your whole sled out.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
that can you have was it for a 96? i got two of them around here and both share the same mounting holes ,might want to do some fabing on the can to mount it better ,nice work on the good ole classic muscle sled

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, havent posted in a while but i wanted to up date you guys on the progress on my sled. I Finally got on the track, and clutch kit. The thing is pritty damn nuts. Primary Clutch engages at 5500RPM's!!! Very Snappy, n im very Happy!

Ill get you guys some new pictures and maybe a sound clip if i can figure it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts