Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparing for the up coming season, I was checking the thickness of my slides/hyfax.
The manual states when they get to 5/16 of an inch, they should be replaced. My measurements were right slide was almost 7/16 and left side was about 9/16. Not sure why they are different but should I replace them since the one side is almost ready?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would be the effect on the track tension? Would I have to adjust it for the new slides?

·
Registered
777 Posts
youll have to re adjust your tension to replace them anyway,theres a moulded in line on the hy fax on the outside edge,,when it gets to that mark,change them

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the manual has the tension settings if I remember. Just incase anyone have a recommendation on the tension adjustments?

·
Registered
89 Posts
This has been mentioned before but speaking from experience, it is better to pull the skid out to replace the slides. You never know what your going to find in there. I ended up replacing a few idlers and a couple bearings. I was also able to grease it up really well and found a shock end stop all broke up. Most of these things I would not have found if I hadn't pulled the skid out. Not that hard of a job either.

This was on my '96 F-III.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to beat this till its dead but, I was talking to a friend about this. My friend knows alot about sleds. He has a 99 Arctic Cat ZRT and a 86 SkiDoo Safari. He told me that he would wait till next season to replace the slides. I have 2/8ths on an inch to go before the manual says replace 'em. My friend tells me that should be plenty for the upcoming season. I've only been into sleds for 3 years so I have no clue what normal wear is for a slide. I generally don't ride in low snow conditions and occasionally ride on the lake but usually there is snow on it. If I have 2000 miles on my 96 XLT SP could I get by? I feel like I should apologize since slides are a simple, cheep item, and it is really not a big deal to replace them. However, I have a lot of things to do this fall. Changing the slides would be one less thing. My gut says replace 'em though.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I would replace them... it's cheap insurance. The Xtra-12 suspension is known for excessive Hyfax wear.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I was wondering. Since it is the Xtra-12 does that contribute to it. Like I said. He knows his stuff but not when it comes to Polaris. He is really an AC guy. Any ideas on the graphite slides?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I wouldnt spend extra money on Hyfax. They are a wear item on any sled. I have heard good things about the Graphite, but nothing that would make me go buy them. I replace my Hyfax every year regardless of wear.

One of the tips i have read about regarding the Xtra 12 Hyfax wear is to run the track looser than recommended. I didnt try it because my XLT has studs and i had a problem with the front shock in the skid bottoming out on me. I think i have that problem addressed this year, if so i will be running my track looser. The rule of thumb is looser is better as long as you arent skipping the track on the drive shaft.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's good to know. I really didn't want to spend a whole lot on the hyfax and if they will get beat up anyway, I will probably do what you do which is replace them every year. By the way, is there only one bolt per hyfax that ancors it to the skid?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
yep one bolt at the front of the rail. As other's have said at minimum loosen your track to get them on. This is done by loosening the lock nut in front of the rear idler wheel on both sides and then loosen the bolt that holds those rear idlers back.

The more preferred method (and more work) is to drop the whole skid out of the sled. this allows you the chance to make sure everything else in the rear skid is functional...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
On my XLT there is one allen head bolt at the front of the slider or hyfax. If they are close to the wear line I would change them now. It's easier when it's warm out. We check them all the time when riding and it's not a lot of fun changing them outside when you are up north to ride, but that's part of the sport. Here in MI we have such marginal snow most years that we sometimes go through a few sets per season.

If you get the front bolt out try to drive the slider backwards a few inches with hammer and screwdriver, once you get it out one of the track windows you can just grab it with some channel locks and pull it out. Whatever you do be careful not to gouge your slide rails with tools. I always fill the new ones up with spray grease before putting them on. I'm sure there are other ways, but thats how I do it.

Another thought if you think your first few rides are going to be on crappy snow, you might just want to buy the sliders and keep them with you. Then you won't eat up a new pair the first time out. I just re-read your post and you still have almost 1/2 an inch to go that's still pretty good.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PolarisXLTSP: I know checking the track tension after the slides are replaced is usually recommended but you didn't mention that. I have another friend that has a 96 xlt sp. I know he changed his slides and never adjusted the tension. what has been your experience with this? did my neighbor get lucky or did he just not have alot of tension to begin with, much like Darkstar mentioned in one of his replies.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
He probably had more play in the track to begin with so the new sliders didnt affect the tension. Or he was running too tight after the new slide install.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Just to correct on track tension:
For the xtra-12 measure the distance between the slide and the inner track clip surface just in front of the rear idler wheel. Should be 1/2. this is according to my Polaris manual.you can run it looser though as long as track doesn't rachet( as Darkstar mentioned).Make sure to check the track alignment too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think right now, on mine, their it is at least a half inch. I know with the sled suspended from the rear, there is not a very big gap between the track and slides. it is at least .5 inches and not more 1 inch. Others have mentioned 1.5 inches with 15 lb weights hanging from the center? Would that be a good rule for the Xtra-12 as well?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
No, the xtra-12 is 1/2" ((measure at 15" ?? in front of the rear idler wheel bolt?)) with no weight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts