Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know much about the rules in Michigan? I put skis and 4snow tires on my quad and plan on riding NW michigan, hoping to hit snowmobile trails but the DNR lady made it sound like theres no exceptions for atvs, but I dont think she understood what I did.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I find it hard to believe that they will hand you a trail permit for your ATV even after modifying it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i always wondered if they would allow that or not. If i had to guess, i would say the problem would be the tires. snow tires or not, they are gonna leave ruts, and that is where the problem will be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Legal Definition of a Snowmobile:
"Snowmobile" means any motor-driven vehicle designed for travel primarily on snow or ice of a type that utilizes sled-type runners or skis, an endless belt tread, or any combination of these or other similar means of contact with the surface upon which it is operated, but is not a vehicle that must be registered under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_14824-32293--,00.html

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I figured the problem would be in the tires, oh well i guess my lake and other public areas will have to suffice.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think someone said it has to be registered as a snowmobile to ride on trails. Even quads that are equipped with tracks are not allowed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here in WA St. you can register your quad as snowmobiles. Had a couple friends who did it, but, they were told by the sheriff that it didn't matter, that they could not use the trails anyway. So, up here you can't even if it is registered as one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts