Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am 17, i race motocross, i get VERY bored in the winter, all my friends have sleds but i dont. I have never ridden a sled so i dont even know if i would like it, (i'm pretty sure i would, being that i love riding dirt-bikes) I am mechanically inclined and i do all of my own work on my 4-stroke MX bike. However i know nothing about sleds, i have no brand preference, i dont know the advantages of 4stroke sleds vs 2stroke sleds. The only thing i was leaning towards was getting a mid-sized one, say a 600??

·
Registered
784 Posts
well what is your price range if you like motocross then you probably want a 2 stroke but price range will kinda determine the year of the sled. Also what type of riding will you be riding

·
Registered
23 Posts
if you like riding dirt bikes i would recommend getting a polaris 600RR or a artic cat sno pro 500 because these are similar to dirtbikes

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yamaha Apex is a good 4stroke, a pro x any thing would be good also considering you ride mx. pro x usually assumes you to mix you gas but a oil injector kit could be installed.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
4 strokes are heavy, only sleds now a days that are a 4 stroke are yami's,, id look for a iq shift 600 or maybe a pro x 600great sleds both are polaris

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would suggest a newer style phazer the engine is basically two yz 250's put together so you would know something about it plus all the reviews and my opinion say it feels like a dirt bike because of the narrow saddle and sitting position. it is only 85 HP so it won't be as fast as a 600 but seeing as you have never ridden i don't think you will notice it.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
depending on your sledding style and budget, a Polaris 600/700 Edge would be a nice start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all of the quick replies!!, i just bought myself a 2010 YZ250F so i dont have alot of money. But i know from experience with buying used bikes that if you dont pay enough for a new enough or nice enough machine, you'll be paying for it later or wishing that you didnt have such a crappy machine. Now i would be willing to go anywhere from $4000 to 5000 or even a little more if its a good sled that i want. The type of riding that i would be doing would be open fields, ditches, but mainly lots of hills.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
bj.hardy said:
4 strokes are heavy, only sleds now a days that are a 4 stroke are yami's,, id look for a iq shift 600 or maybe a pro x 600great sleds both are polaris
What about the Rev XR platform? How about the Dragon fs? Arctic Cat t660 ring a bell?

What is your price range?

And a 600 is a sled you ( at least most people ) wont get bored of power wise. I honestly think a 600 is the perfect size, or a 700. A 600 is pretty much the 250f or MX.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
sledcrusher said:
bj.hardy said:
What about the Rev XR platform? How about the Dragon fs? Arctic Cat t660 ring a bell?

And a 600 is a sled you ( at least most people ) wont get bored of power wise. I honestly think a 600 is the perfect size, or a 700. A 600 is pretty much the 250f or MX.

sorry my bad!didnt even think of those

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Any brand of 600 class sled would be a excellent starter sled, and if you feel you can spend in that $4-6000 range no matter what brand you buy you will be very happy with the power and performance, and once you do get a sled you can come here for any questions as most everyone on here will be more than happy to help you out with anything you need to know.

·
Registered
634 Posts
YZRIDER314 said:
Thank you for all of the quick replies!!, i just bought myself a 2010 YZ250F so i dont have alot of money. But i know from experience with buying used bikes that if you dont pay enough for a new enough or nice enough machine, you'll be paying for it later or wishing that you didnt have such a crappy machine. Now i would be willing to go anywhere from $4000 to 5000 or even a little more if its a good sled that i want.[/color=red] The type of riding that i would be doing would be open fields, ditches, but mainly lots of hills.

sledcrusher said:
bj.hardy said:

[/color=red]

Thats all you got to do is read[thumb]

4-5 k would buy a nice sled of any make. you can get a prox 800 for that price. at least around here. O and by the way Welcome to the sight!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok cool. Now i'm gonna post ads that i find that i am interested in and you guys can tell me what you think, keep in mind that i am in Canada so the pricing may be higher.

Heres a few to start.

http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-snowmobiles-2004-Ski-Doo-Summit-For-Sale-W0QQAdIdZ190892656

http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-snowmobiles-2005-Arctic-cat-M6-EFI-141-W0QQAdIdZ223120936

http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-snowmobiles-2007-F6-Arctic-Cat-W0QQAdIdZ197936357

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Get something from the mid to late 2000's, 2 stroke 600, either REV (Ski-doo) or IQ/Dragon (Polaris) or firecat (Arctic Cat) chassis and you will be very happy. Once you figure out what things you like and dislike in a sled you can narrow it down better for your 2nd sled :)

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
polarisguy23 said:
YZRIDER314 said:
Thank you for all of the quick replies!!, i just bought myself a 2010 YZ250F so i dont have alot of money. But i know from experience with buying used bikes that if you dont pay enough for a new enough or nice enough machine, you'll be paying for it later or wishing that you didnt have such a crappy machine. Now i would be willing to go anywhere from $4000 to 5000 or even a little more if its a good sled that i want.[/color=red] The type of riding that i would be doing would be open fields, ditches, but mainly lots of hills.

sledcrusher said:
bj.hardy said:

[/color=red]

Thats all you got to do is read[thumb]

4-5 k would buy a nice sled of any make. you can get a prox 800 for that price. at least around here. O and by the way Welcome to the sight!!

Sledcrusher has had his bell rung a few too many times to read and take in information.

I would personally go with an IQRR if you have the money.

I would also stick with a 2 stoke at this point in time, i think they will fit your riding (or at least what you are used to on a bike) a little better.

What kind of sleds do your buddies have? Maybe give each one a go round and see how you like each one, that will sort of help you narrow down the vast selection.

·
Registered
634 Posts
either the summit or the M6. the M6 looks like a clean sled.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That M6 looks sick. And looks like it would be a fun sled to ride i like the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts