Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about giving snocross or hillcross a try. The only concern for me is the cost.
I tried motocross this past summer and I ended up getting out of it because of how expensive it is.
Im thinking that I could probably afford snocross though. Sleds dont typically need engine rebuilds as often as sport quads and dirtbikes (thats the main reason I got out of MX, modern thumpers are not cheap to rebuild).
Im not planning on being really serious about it and trying to compete at a National level, just doing some local races in northern Wisconsin. Most likely Id only be racing 3 or 4 races a year.
Im looking for some opinions on this. Is racing snocross on a regional level something that the average person who isnt rich can afford?
Thanks...

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
It is still pretty expensive.

Typical weekend for me at hillcross:

$70 gas for truck
$40 gas for sled
$15 oil for sled
$35x2 class entry fees
$40 food/beer
$150 two nights motel.

I'm sure there is some more misc stuff, but that is typical I think.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still not bad though. Id be racing in a regional series and Id be able to drive to the race and home on the same day, so I could save some money over the list you gave.
Thanks for the input though, its much appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
snocross is liek 3 times for expensive than mx.... triple the cost in race fees.... wayyy more gas oil parts, and not to mention wayyy mroe carnage.... honestly if you cant afford mx based on money good luck with snocross.... and even better luck stickin to 3 races a year... it slike an addcition it grows... much larger than most of our paychecks.... thank god dad is still payin to get me there and lodging!!! i have all i can do to pay entry fees and sled and gear and parts and still eat and pay my bills and i make decent money!!!

snocross is winter time robbery.....

ok done ranting

good luck tho.... try and hook up with someoen else to share expenses with fuel and lodging!!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by John_Deere_Polaris_440
[br]snocross is liek 3 times for expensive than mx.... triple the cost in race fees.... wayyy more gas oil parts, and not to mention wayyy mroe carnage.... honestly if you cant afford mx based on money good luck with snocross.... and even better luck stickin to 3 races a year... it slike an addcition it grows... much larger than most of our paychecks.... thank god dad is still payin to get me there and lodging!!! i have all i can do to pay entry fees and sled and gear and parts and still eat and pay my bills and i make decent money!!!

snocross is winter time robbery.....

ok done ranting

good luck tho.... try and hook up with someoen else to share expenses with fuel and lodging!!
Your wrong...

Yes, the lodging and what not adds up. But MX motors also need a rebuild at least every 3 races, and many need them after just one race! Now, let's say each rebuild is $250 for parts and you do the labor yourself. That adds up on top of your fees, add labor and you are asking for trouble! A snowcross motor can last many races, especially for backyard racers sometimes even an entire year. Ripperd can probably speak more for this, but I don't think he's rebuilding it every three races.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you live by the track and compete for the fun of it it can be inexpensive.We dont live by the track and we have 2 racers so it gets expensive.This past weekend cost us;140 in diesel;240 in entry fees;70 in race fuel;40 in propane for trailer heat;30 in generator gas;70 in gate fees.We sleep in the trailer and cook our own food.We broke nothing,but got a new set-up for our clutches $210.It also costs us $100 each to belong to the circuit. If you use your trail sled in the trail class you don't have to buy another sled and it will give you an idea of what its like.

·
Registered
214 Posts
yeah i always seem to be wrong on this forum for some reason... think mainly its all the trial riders that think since they watched duluth national on speed they no whats up.....

your tryin to tell me people are rebuilding their 4 stroke mx bikes after every 1-3 races???? peopel at the regional level i doubt it....

but its ok you guys no more than me obvioiusly so besides ripperd and sickler who else nos how much a weekend of snocross costs??

heres a hint speed channel cant help ya on this one guys....

if youll excuse me i have to go order 4 rebuild kits for my yz 250f for this Comin summer.... lmao

·
Registered
625 Posts
JD I agree,I never raced MX but a Friend of mine quit snocross to do MX.He said he couldn't afford to race snocross anymore.His kid was 15 at the time.We pay $40 a class and there are 2 heats(3 laps each about 1/8 to 1/4 mile each) and then the final.Add in the gate fee,gas and all the expense's (Tech vest 250,boots 150,helmet 100,sno-x pants and pull over 375)and that comes out to extremely expensive laps.If you already have a sled and can use your current gear that you have for trail riding,you can get away with $150 a weekend.But we both know that even in regionals,if you want to be competitive you have to spend money.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Ya, my numbers are likely on the low side. And don't forget WSA membership, equipment, broken parts. Parking, etc.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing that made me give up on MX was the cost of rebuilding a thumper. When it costs $1500 to get the topend rebuilt and you have to do that at least every other year, thats kinda expensive.
I was hooked-up with a local Yamaha dealer who sponsors a lot of MX racers, so I grilled the dealer mechanic about how expensive maintenance on a 4-stroke MX bike would be.
The gate fees with MX were no big deal, nor was the cost of the protective equipment. It was all with the maintenance of the bike. If I had bought a 2-stroke I probably would have stuck with MX, but 4-strokes are crazy expensive.
The tracks Id be racing at are at the most 1 hour's drive away and Id only be racing a few races a year.
I appreciate everyone's opinions and I realize that if I wanna run with the big boys I am going to need some serious sponsorship money, but Im not really looking to run with the big boys. Im just looking to tear it up in the novice or sport class on the weekends and have some fun.
I realize that competing at a National level is very expensive. A friend of mine is a semi-pro snocross racer, so Im very much aware that competing at a top level takes a lot of money and some serious sponsorship.
I'll probably do at least 1 local snocross race next winter and race in the "novice" class with my XC and just see how I like it and if I love it I will look into getting a 2 or 3 year old 440 (or maybe even a 600 by they) IQ. Like I said, Im not looking to chase points, just have some fun racing at some local tracks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
im tellin ya man once you start you cant stop youll chase points.. i bet money.... cough cough (buy my 2006 iq 440) 4700$
[attachment=44139]
[attachment=44056]
[attachment=44296]
[attachment=53108]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Originally posted by John_Deere_Polaris_440
[br]yeah i always seem to be wrong on this forum for some reason... think mainly its all the trial riders that think since they watched duluth national on speed they no whats up.....

heres a hint speed channel cant help ya on this one guys....

What about all of us that where THERE and not watching it on speed huh? [:D]lol

and I can see where you're coming from Octane, I was thinking about running cross country races this year just for fun because it's something new and different than trail riding. I hope you can get into it and do good[;)]

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JDP440, as much as Id love to buy your 440 IQ and as sweet as that deal is, Im not really ready to buy right now. Right now Im working on paying off all my debt so that I can sell my house and move to NE Wisconsin. Plus Ive got a truck with 152,000 miles on it and a 6 year old trail sled, so in terms of priority buying a race sled is pretty low on the list of things to spend money on.
For now Im just going to dabble in some regional snocross races with my XC and if I like it I will invest in a Pro-X or IQ sometime in the future.
Thanks for the kind words, Powersledder. I think I could hold my own on the regional circuit. Ive ridden snowmobiles since '92 and I can hold my own on a motocross track, but I will never know untill I try. Id rathar try and fail than to never try at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts