Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I spotted in Popular Science magazine. Just read it over or search the net for it. I have only found a few articles about it, I think you guys will really like this. Imagine if this with a supposed 17% jump in fuel efficiency on an E tec or the new ace. ENJOY. http://cs.amsnow.com/snocs/blogs/news/archive/2010/05/19/rad-technology-receives-popular-science-s-invention-award.aspx

Search it or find the issue of Popular Science.

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
Looks heavy and I do not like the thought of a drive chain out in the open like that.I see the brake rotor is out in the open to,it could freeze up giving delayed braking.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is true, its definitely still in the testing stage and I have my doubts about it too. But the article in popular science said that a lot of racers are trying the system, and theres no better way to find out how well something works than to race it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres another one this is the article i was talking about http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-05/invention-awwards-faster-safer-snowmobiling

·
Registered
622 Posts
That was at last year at the Toronto international ATV & Snowmobile Expo. They had a sled equip with RAD. It is impressive but what they are not showing you is that the secondary belt goes from the drive clutch all the way back to the middle of the tunnel connecting to the secondary clutch. It makes the left side of the tunnel super bulky and rubs on your left leg a lot it was very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a pic of the sleds equipped with it in the magazine, it did look bulky, but like I said before once people start racing this type of setup it will improve and shed weight really fast. Nice lookin sled by the way Pharotek. I want to get a 5 or 6 in that XCsp body style, I had a chance to get an 02, 700 with 2700 miles on it for 2500, (that was the trade in value) We were in the middle of a trip though and the guy was getting rid of it before I got back home.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I dont think you would have an issue with the chain rusting as long as you do the normal prevenative maintenance on it like everything else.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Dirt bikes, atv's and countless other rigs have used chains in the dirt for as long as machines have existed. It will be a wear item like a belt.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Redline came out with a new sled that claimed it "revolutionized The Industry" as well. It was faster, lighter, and fun. What they didnt tell the comsumer was, after 500 miles or so, the crank sheared on pretty much all of the models made.
My point is, even though it is said to revolutionize the industry, I would take caution. Im also not a big fan of exposed moving parts based on the way I ride. Its more stuff that can break.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know what you guys are saying there will definitely be bugs to be worked out. But I am always open to newer technology once its been tested, especially if it helps mileage and or performance. I would like to see it in action, or be able to test drive it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts