1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Yeah I have to agree with you,either that or they have to much money to spare...I got a 70s ski-doo for my first sled and I had a blast on it and never complained..I hate it when kids get extra spoiled like that and then dont appreaciate it, it means alot more to me when I work for it and buy it my self..

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I must say that with all those accessories it looks sweet but that guy should have let his son take his sled out a few times before spending that kind of money on a brand new one. First sled I drove was a 1980 Yamaha 250 Enticer. It was my uncles for a long time then he let pman drive it and as soon as he got a different sled I got to use it. Then I got to use my dad's sled until I bought my own. Some parents just spoil their kids too much.

G

·
0 Posts
My dad gave me my first sled - 1972 340 Olympic - but I think that is a little diffent. That sure does seem like a waste. How much is he gonna take it in the shorts trying to sell that thing.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by Ski-Donkey Wizard
[br] How much is he gonna take it in the shorts trying to sell that thing.
Yeah no kiddin... Hey I'm looking for a new dad to snowmobile with! [:D] J/K ofcourse.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
oh boy, the famous "looky what i got" topic. i have to agree, but i guess some people are well off enough to do that, but i hope this thread doesnt get ugly, so everyone please tread lightly on this one......thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
wow... my first sled was a 1970 pantera 500 and i REALLY thought i had something... but ya know ya want to give your kids the best and you got money i say go for it....

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
it means alot more to me when I work for it and buy it my self..
work for it, buy it, ride it, break it, work for the parts, fix it, ride it...a well rounded cycle

awesome looking sled!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Damn, what a shame, the dad thought him and his son were going to have something in common. Going to complete the big father son bond, hopefully the kid comes around!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by j-2-800
[br]Damn, what a shame, the dad thought him and his son were going to have something in common. Going to complete the big father son bond, hopefully the kid comes around!
Man I never thought about it that way. It's a shame for his dad, hoping him and his son could bond but all the kid does is rejects him. That sucks a lot.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yeah i hate it when dady buys everything. There are two kids that are my girlfriends little brothers buddys. One is thirteen and he has a xc 500 an dhes only 13!!The other has a 340 classic with every option on it. There is two kids in my school that are 14 and ride 2003 edge x 500's. And get this there is another who is in grade 9 (14 years onl) and rides a 2003 edge x 600!!! These are just kids with a deathwish.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Well I have many people in my school w/ their own sleds. Two of my buddies have F5's, two have 98 ZL 500s, two have 96 Z440s, then one guy has a Pro X 440 fan, one has a Pro X 700 that he got for 200 bucks cause he wrecked his 02 Edge X 600, I have my Trail, another one of my friend's has a 03 Sno Pro (he races) and another guy has a 02 Sno Pro. Another one of my friend's has pman's old 96 XCR 440 SP, and his buddy has a ZR 440. Eleven of those 13 people paid for their own sleds. So not everyone gets everything for free, although sometimes it seems some people get things a lot easier than some of us.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my first sled? 78 jag 340 yeah it was given to me by my dad. that was in 86 all other sled i bought and traded for.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
My first sled:

1990 Arctic Cat Jag 440

Dad paid half, I paid half. I was also like 13 or 14 yrs old.

2 or 3 yrs later, 1994 Polaris Indy 440 Paid for it 100% by myself. From then on everything has been paid 4 by me

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]My first sled:

1990 Arctic Cat Jag 440

Dad paid half, I paid half. I was also like 13 or 14 yrs old.

2 or 3 yrs later, 1994 Polaris Indy 440 Paid for it 100% by myself. From then on everything has been paid 4 by me
Hey pman did you always just work on your farm? And When did you dad start paying you for doing work?

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Been driving tractors and stuff since I was 12 or 13 yrs old. Doing simple stuff like move bales or mow corn stalks.

Since about 14 doing real work, like clean bins, and drive big stuff like deep tillers and combines and stuff.

I worked at a John Deere dealership for half a winter and spring once, But we needed help on the farm at home so I came back. Now I rent my own land and am starting to purchase equipment and really getting into the swing of things.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just gave my 13 year old daughter my old 89 400. That's because she's right into sleddin. And yes it helps for more things to da as a family. She really pulled up her marks in school and the sled was a good leverage for that. Anyways that's probably why the guy bought it for him. Too bad though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my 12-year-old daughter a new 2003 SS just like the one on ebay. Although it does not have all the colored accessories it does have reverse.
Now she did not pay for the sled or for that matter work hard to get it. But get this, I DID and was glad to do it.
I use to say things like “his daddy bought him that” not really understanding what I was saying back when. Now I am that dad, what a jerk I must have been.
I work real hard with long hours, my point is someone had to work for it. My daughter thinks that “I am the man” she loves and really appreciates her new sled.
Someday I’ll have a new sled again……………
I also think newer sleds are safer, what price do you put on safety for your kids?
It is too bad this father and son could not connect with snowmobiling, but some father may very well buy this sled and hookup with his son or daughter, at a very reasonable cost I might add.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Originally posted by lahanko
[br]I bought my 12-year-old daughter a new 2003 SS just like the one on ebay. Although it does not have all the colored accessories it does have reverse.
Now she did not pay for the sled or for that matter work hard to get it. But get this, I DID and was glad to do it.
I use to say things like “his daddy bought him that” not really understanding what I was saying back when. Now I am that dad, what a jerk I must have been.
I work real hard with long hours, my point is someone had to work for it. My daughter thinks that “I am the man” she loves and really appreciates her new sled.
Someday I’ll have a new sled again……………
I also think newer sleds are safer, what price do you put on safety for your kids?
It is too bad this father and son could not connect with snowmobiling, but some father may very well buy this sled and hookup with his son or daughter, at a very reasonable cost I might add.

Very well said. Bravo!

Oh and welcome to the site! [:D]

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree,lahanko. I bought sleds for my kids so that we can do something together on the weekends. They get to a certain age (and size![:D]) and the riding-on-the-back thing just doesn't cut it anymore.

I work hard 6 days a week and am busy trying to run a household after work every day. Saturday nights and Sundays are the only time we can really do something good together, and if that means I buy the tools needed to do so, so be it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts