Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way back from picking up a sweet XLT from this guy on here... I grabbed a pair of '81 TXL-Indy 340's. For 200 bucks I couldn't go wrong. Here's what they looked like the day I got them home:
[attachment=48217]
[attachment=48218] (one on the right)
Bottom on the one is beat: (Like my chair collection?!?!!)
[attachment=48220]
Engine is being torn apart:
[attachment=48224]

They were pretty destroyed. One has a seized engine, the other just had a stuck ring. One chassis is shot, the other is perfect. Between the two I'll end up with one nice vintage sled. Well as vintage as a non-leafer can be. I've always like these for some odd reason. So I've spent the last two weeks cleaning, scrubbing, blasting, sanding and painting to end up with something that looks something like this:
[attachment=48221]
[attachment=48222]
[attachment=48223]

I figure since it's not a high-dollar vintage, I don't need to restore it to original so the hood will be black with red screens and vents. I'm polishing the tunnel inbetween painting, and I'm just waiting for a clutch puller and my gasket set to come. Sled SHOULD be done in another 2 weeks. I'll post more pics as it gets done.

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it somewhat back together. Runs- has a bog on one cyl. Had to order a new set of needle and seats, and fuel pump rebuild. Hood is in the midst of being repaired (cracks filled, stress points reinforced)
It's coming along....
[attachment=49861]
[attachment=49862]
[attachment=49863]
I don't know how I feel about the exhaust. My pops likes it, I guess that's all that really matters.

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Looking GREAT. It's nice to see some of these old TXL's getting a new life, they were a machine ahead of their time. Keep us updated on the progress, I am enjoying this little project of yours!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
VERY NICE!!!!! I wish I could find a deal like that. Awesome job. Those sleds rock.
I would sell a kidney (maybe 2) for one of those in showroom cond

Keep the pics+details a comin!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In response to another thread, I tried some Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Did so well that it reflected so much light that it didn't use the flash!
[attachment=50085]
[attachment=50086]
But then I got one with the flash to work right; I think it cleaned it up pretty well:
[attachment=50087]
Not too much done tonight otherwise - Sanded down the paint, cleaned some spiderweb cracks up, getting ready to shoot some paint probably tomorrow. Or wednesday:
[attachment=50088]
[attachment=50089]
[attachment=50091]
[attachment=50092]
I don't care what anyone says. Easiest way to lay Bondo or Bondo-glass is with your fingers.

-Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Luke
[br]VERY NICE!!!!! I wish I could find a deal like that. Awesome job. Those sleds rock.
I would sell a kidney (maybe 2) for one of those in showroom cond

Keep the pics+details a comin!!
You mean something like this:
[attachment=50103]
Is that frickin sick or what? No, that's not an old picture.
EDIT: I'm a dope - date is in the pic!
This guy's garage is my heaven!
[attachment=50104]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
KIDNEYS FOR SALE. GET EM' WHILE THEY'RE WARM!!!!
I'll even cut you a deal on a slightly abused liver.

Damn, I gotta say I'm a little stiff in the pants. And by the time you guys read this Ill be less the better part of a box of tissues(elapsed time 47 sec.)
Nice f'in sleds. Same year as my TX too. Got any more pics? I'll need soome thing to do tomorrow night too.[8D]

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not my garage, but I wish. I showed these to my dad - he went pretty crazy too.
[attachment=50123]
[attachment=50124]
[attachment=50125]
[attachment=50126]
[attachment=50127]
I'd give a leg and a nut for an original RXL!
[attachment=50128]
Some other guys garage:
[attachment=50129]
[attachment=50130]
[attachment=50131]
It's like a puzzle in here!
[attachment=50132]
Go to www.retrosno.com and check out all those pics. These are from the Garage Chronicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
That is a great looking' project you have there glad the Mother's worked for you too! Its some wicked stuff (in a good way!) Cant wait to see more of it!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a lot more done today than I expected. I only get 3(+/-) hours a day, so I try and be as useful as possible. Got it all sanded down and shot the primer. Found some flaws but I've not overly concerned about it. I guess you'll always find some little thing to gripe over:
[attachment=50278]
[attachment=50280]
Anyone have a vent that goes here? Standard wedge. This hood is the better of the two that I have, and it's from something newer. I didn't want to glass the spot in and I figure someone has to have something laying around:
[attachment=50279]

That's it for now. I have some crap to do with the woman tomorrow so there probably won't be any progress; unless I start a fight or something. Crap and thursday I have to help a guy put in new celing lights at his shop. Maybe last update till weekend?

-Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Black with red vents. I have the vent for the left side, need to find one for the right. I found a place around here that has some cool material I'm going to use for the screens. Oh, and the dash panel will be diamond plate.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.