Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just got my first sled to get my feet wet, or cold. Previous owner wasn't riding it because the engine would die everytime you gave it throttle. I cleaned carbs and such but read about a throttle safety switch and sure enough, there wasn't enough tension on the throttle cable to keep the throttle lever from activating the switch. I disconnected the safety wires and it runs perfectly fine.
I've adjusted the cable a bit but the switch still gets activated when I press the throttle. How much tension should there be? it seems like a lot of tension is required to keep the pivot pin away from the switch. The manual says 0.010-0.030" play measured at the throttle but where do I measure this? When I press the throttle lever just a tiny bit, I can see it pulling the slide with almost no play. 10 thousandths is an awful small margin....
I think I just need to crank down on the adjuster nuts to get any slack out.
Thoughts? too stretched out, replace cables??

·
Registered
827 Posts
Welcome the the Forum.

You should be able to figure it out through trial and error. BUT! if you are happy with the idle, take the airbox off and find a drill bit that just fits in the opening between the slide and the carb body (use the dull end of the bit). I think my xlt is 15/64". Use the idle adjusting screw on the carbs to set them so that there is just a little drag on the bit. Then loosen the locknut on top of the carb and screw the adjuster out until the drill bit starts to get loose. Turn the adjuster back in until you feel the slight drag again, then turn it about another 1/3 of a turn, tighten the locknut. Your carbs are now synced. Hopefully the throttle safety switch works with this adjustment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed. Thanks! I used my fingers to get a rough feel for it then the drill bit trick worked just great for fine tuning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts