Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 ski doo formula mx with a mach 1 motor in it. The throttle cable broke and i bought one for the mach 1 but now the second you start it it takes off at top speed and races. so we put it on the stand and started it and tried to press the throttle in and it bogged down. is my cable short. or a mixture between the cable being short and carb settings being wrong. I have paid for part of 3 sleds and none of them work, so Im really hoping to get this one going. The motor sounded strong, not a miss in it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
did you set up the cable so they have cable slack (the adjusters on the top of the carb slides were the cable goes, and also sync the slides on the carb to open at the same time

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yep Sync the carbs. How you can do this is strap the throttle wide open. Make sure to unstrap it before you start it. Now feel the slides in the carbs and adjust the screw on the cable to make them the same level. Now mark the screw on the cables. Loosen the throttle. Now screw them out until the slack is out of the throttle cable. Make sure that you do leave some slack in the cable so that it will now change the rpm's on the sled when you move the handle bars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
theword said:
Yep Sync the carbs. How you can do this is strap the throttle wide open. Make sure to unstrap it before you start it. Now feel the slides in the carbs and adjust the screw on the cable to make them the same level. Now mark the screw on the cables. Loosen the throttle. Now screw them out until the slack is out of the throttle cable. Make sure that you do leave some slack in the cable so that it will now change the rpm's on the sled when you move the handle bars.
my step dad says that the cable is to short because the jugs in the carb are up to high.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aguywithaproblem said:
theword said:
my step dad says that the cable is to short because the jugs in the carb are up to high.
We got a new cable and got it to work but it wont idle I have to keep pressing the throttle and i see the oil temperature gauge needle get buried after about 5 seconds and there is coolant in the reservoir but I feel the block and it isn't warm at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts