Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
945 Posts
Welcome aboard Harley Turbo! What kind of sled? I have two old Skidoos that had Tillotson carbs. We switched one of them to a mikuni for ease of jetting. Still fighting with it though. The Tillotson had the fuel pump built in and no adjustable jets so it made it hard to set up. I suspect that the Tillotson fuel pump may not have enough flow to feed the intake with a turbo. If you go to mikuni you can add a hi-flow fuel pump and that might make a difference.

My biggest problem now with that old 340 is it generates so much heat I think is vapour locking and is extremely hard to start when it gets that hot. Also wants to die unless you keep it wide open. Not the best option for a beginner. LOL

-------------------------------------------

Lest we forget...... 09/11/01

Edited by - bman on October 17 2001 6:28:56 PM

· Registered
945 Posts
Very interesting. Where did you get the turbo and how much did it cost? Just curious.

· Registered
945 Posts
Got a free Mikuni 44mm roundslide from a friend. I seriously have no clue what the jets are in it at this point. We made so many changes last year trying to get it to run consistently. Like I said, work in progress. I do like the toggle choke though.

I suspect I'm under jetted for that size of carb on the little 340. anyone else have any ideas on that? Look at the begging of the thread for more symptoms.

· Registered
945 Posts
Sorry Harley, can't help you. It was just a two stroke carb that was sitting at a buddy's place. He didn't know where it came from.

Not sure if putting an inline fuel pump will help you too much. The tillotson carb does have a fuel pump/metering system on the very bottom of it. Have you opened it up to check on the diaphram? Perhaps it just needs a rebuild kit? I think the inline would just pump as far as that then have no where to go.

· Registered
945 Posts
Oops, forgot that part. The aluminum mounting flange had to be drilled out to allow the mounting posts to fit and I ordered an aftermarket carb intake boot. I also had 'issues' with the throttle cable travel so I replaced the cable. It wasn't getting full throw on the bigger Mikuni.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.