Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well heres my question its time for true dual exhaust in my truck, and i was wondering what everyones opinions are on exhaust pipe size, i was thinkn 2 inch duals all the way through or 2.5 inch all the way throught, wat would b prefered for a 91 350 5 spd carb/injected
[attachment=43500]
[attachment=43497]
Pic of stock exhaust
[attachment=43498]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i think 2.5 all the way would look hot, or 2 inch with 2.5 tips, either one of those choices would be damn swwet on that truck

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If you don't have any/many engine modifications, 2 or 2 1/4 is sufficient and would sound better than 2 1/2. Are you doing this yourself or do you have shop that will do it without catalytic converters? The reason I ask is two decent flowing cats cost a lot of dollars. I have a '91 with about 325 hp and wanted duals all the way back, but decided to Y into a singe 3 inch cat and go to dual 2 1/2 after that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JD
[br]If you don't have any/many engine modifications, 2 or 2 1/4 is sufficient and would sound better than 2 1/2. Are you doing this yourself or do you have shop that will do it without catalytic converters? The reason I ask is two decent flowing cats cost a lot of dollars. I have a '91 with about 325 hp and wanted duals all the way back, but decided to Y into a singe 3 inch cat and go to dual 2 1/2 after that.
Ill do it myself so no cats, ive got the press
As for engine mods all ive got is a spacer and a k&n
and ive got 2 inch 2.5 inch tips for it already

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]What, no Vinyl? 3 HP her square foot....
It's a cheap easy mod!

HA!

Bryan
ITs really that much??? wow
but u say 2 would sound better than 2.5

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
I'd go 2.5" pipe with 3" or 3.5" tips, but that's just me...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
ibreakstuff, check out the racing stripes. No need for vinyl.

I think that too big of an exhaust with not enough horsepower gives a poor sound. It makes it sound kind of "airy" or "hollow", if that makes any sense. Slightly smaller pipes will give it a good rap. The stock single pipe is 2 1/4, I think. Dual 2" would be plenty in my opinion. But, like they say, a less restrictive exhaust system is basically free hp. But in your case, you are probably only making 200 hp, anyway. I am not trying to belittle that by any means.

What kind of mufflers are you putting on? Glasspacks may be okay, but I kind of like the more throaty sound of something like a Magnaflow or a quality type of turbo muffler. I have never been a fan of the ratty sound of a Flowmaster. Glasspacks also can get extremely loud at high rpm. In my opinion there is such a thing as too loud.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
2 1/4 pipe with 3.5x18 tips would be my choice.

·
Registered
859 Posts
hey do what i did. lol...i was mudding and scraped the ground and busted my cat...so i just tacked two cherrybombs(autozone) on and didn't run any pipe..its loud and sounds reallll nice...i was lucky and was able to fit em both side by side...cherrybombs are the way to go on a V8..plus there only 15$ a piece...ohh and i have a f-250 with the 351 and my friend whom has hte same truck as you spent 350$ on a flowmaster and likes the sound of my bombs better.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
If that truck still has stock exhaust, it may be stainless, I know mine is. I opted to just weld in a flowmaster 40 series and leave all the stock tubing. I couldn't see hacking off stainless to put something worse on, even if it flowed better. Good Luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Originally posted by 88400
[br]
Originally posted by Quinlan
[br]I'd go 2.5" pipe with 3" or 3.5" tips, but that's just me...
I completely agree.
I agree too, but with 4" tips like our truck. Also try to find a good looking place for the tips instead of straight out the back like everyone else. Make it come out the side in front of or behond the rear wheel well so it stands out a bit more.

[attachment=55738]
[attachment=55739]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Originally posted by trailbomber
[br]
Originally posted by 88400
[br]
Originally posted by Quinlan
[br]I'd go 2.5" pipe with 3" or 3.5" tips, but that's just me...
I completely agree.
I agree too, but with 4" tips like our truck.
I originally had 4" tips on my F150...I didn't like them...too big. If you have a bigger pickup, it's fine, but on mine which is stock height, they were overkill. My 3.5" look great. You wouldn't think half an inch would make that big of a difference, but it does. Tips are all personal preference though. Some like big, some like small, some like none at all...[8)]

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Originally posted by YooperRider
[br]2 inch strait pipes! [:D] Let 'er cackle! Then if the cops give you a fix-it ticket just throw some glass packs on it.
Thats a little too loud, my Blazer has an 05 Equinox resonator on her now(3" straight through) with the stock exhaust and it sounds like a bulldozer [:D]

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by 04Prox2
[br]If that truck still has stock exhaust, it may be stainless, I know mine is. I opted to just weld in a flowmaster 40 series and leave all the stock tubing. I couldn't see hacking off stainless to put something worse on, even if it flowed better. Good Luck with whatever you do.
Thnx for all the info everyone and i completely agree with you 04Prox2 but saddly its not the stock exhaust it was redone
but im thinkin that probably 2.25 all the way thro with 3 inch tips. thats my plan but still feel free to send new opinions.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Originally posted by Xcsp610
[br]
Originally posted by 04Prox2
[br]If that truck still has stock exhaust, it may be stainless, I know mine is. I opted to just weld in a flowmaster 40 series and leave all the stock tubing. I couldn't see hacking off stainless to put something worse on, even if it flowed better. Good Luck with whatever you do.
Thnx for all the info everyone and i completely agree with you 04Prox2 but saddly its not the stock exhaust it was redone
but im thinkin that probably 2.25 all the way thro with 3 inch tips. thats my plan but still feel free to send new opinions.
Yep sounds good! Best believe if mine wasn't stock that I would have something simular on there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts