Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pickup with tinted tail lights and I want to take the paint that I put on it off. I have a tried a laundry list of chemicals and I cant seem to get it off. Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
134 Posts
it may be better just to see if you can buy new tail light covers. im not sure how much they are...or did you try minearl spirts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dekk85 said:
why did you paint your tail lights? Did you try paint thinner?
No I have not yet. I wasnt sure if if would break down the plastic. I will try it later on.

ethan.justinger said:
it may be better just to see if you can buy new tail light covers. im not sure how much they are...or did you try minearl spirts
I just want a different look again so its back to stock.What do you mean by mineral spirits?

2010623113959671_19513.jpg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Mineral spirits are another solvent used to clean up/dilute paint. Depending on what type of paint you used in the first place would determine which type of solvent you would need to try and clean it off with.

You could test a very small spot on the bottom of the lense or you could possibly sand it off using a very fine grit WET sandpaper. Something like 1600 or finer. It will leave the plastic looking a bit scuffed. You could then buy one of those headlight polishing kits for about 25 clams and polish the scratches out. Probably would take less than an hour to get it done. All depends on how fine of wet sandpaper you start with.

Or as Ethan suggested-replace them-with used ones.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If you want to do it the cheap and easy way, get a pan or something the light housing will fit in and fill it up with brake fluid. Put lens if it for a few hours or overnight. Brake fluid will break down just about any liquid-based paints. Or polish it off like picman said.

·
Registered
863 Posts
just paint them red now ![beatup] [thumb]

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have tried the brake cleaner for hours now and Im just gonna keep it on till I can get paint thinner or Mineral spirits. Will post pictures once its all off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts