Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you may have experienced a slowdown here in the evenings when many people get online. This is not due to the new server, but due to the extreme inefficiency of the existing underlying forum code. As I've said before, it is slated for replacement but I do not yet have that replacement ready. For now, we will have to make due. I've taken the liberty of auto-disabling thumbnail previews of attached images when the active user count goes over 250 so that only links will be displayed. I hope that this will help reduce the load enough to get us through the next month or so until I get the new code done. I don't want to spend a lot of time optimizing this code as I'd rather focus on the new stuff.

Another tip which everyone should do is to reduce the amount of topics you view in a forum. The default view is set to 30 days. By reducing that to one or two days (if you browse daily) you should see a significant increase in speed when loading different forums. Here is what the drop down box at the bottom of the forums look like for that option. In the future, the way the new code will work, this won't matter and it will be just as fast at displaying everything vs. only a few days.

[attachment=51039]

Another tip is to click the little arrow next to the "Site Statistics" section on the bottom of the default forum page. This will collapse the active users and other statistics so that portion of code isn't run when loading that page. For people who don't use that part, collapsing it will make the page load faster.

Hope this helps, and sorry if things get somewhat slow. I'm working on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
By resetting the topic veiws to "2 days", will that stay as the default setting once selected?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
ahh, now I got it 100%, makes sense! now I am starting to see it ( once it goes over 250 combined guests/members ) it turns into links! good idea until it updates the forums!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by hammy
[br]By resetting the topic veiws to "2 days", will that stay as the default setting once selected?
Yes, it should remember your setting.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
I really hate to say it... but should you temporarly disable the BOTD thread? I am sure that sucks alot of juice from the site.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by arcticcatmatt
[br]I really hate to say it... but should you temporarly disable the BOTD thread? I am sure that sucks alot of juice from the site.

[:0][:0][:0]
you better bite your tongue!
LOL

Tip worked great erick site doesn't slow down as much when there's close to 300 people on line!

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by arcticcatmatt
[br]I really hate to say it... but should you temporarly disable the BOTD thread? I am sure that sucks alot of juice from the site.
[Twak]

I think we can deal with a little slowness, don't you Matt???

[SadBounce]

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
for BOTD topic, alot of them are showing images from 3rd party meaning its not using SF servers to display those images. which reduces taxing on the sf servers! best of all as well [:)]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts