Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys if any of you who read this plan to go to Houghton Lake in the northern lower part or Michigan PLEASE BE CAREFUL. There is a Large area of open water on the lake. it is approximatly 200 yards wide by 1.5 miles long at its widest portion. 4 snowmobiliers went in this past weekend all of whom lived. But unfortunatly 3 more snowmobiliers went in and were not so lucky. We also lost 3 more snowmobiliers on Long Lake (also in Michigan). So Guys please be careful on the inland lakes here In michigan. Check the Ice Thickness for yourself and check with the locals to see if they know something you dont. If you get up there for Tip UP Town have a blast, but remember about this open water and remember not to OUTDRIVE your headlights at night while on the lake.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It's something else with the ice conditions. Here in SE Wi it's been so frickin cold (most days at least) with no snow, everything is frozen close to a foot thick. But go anywhere else where there was snow and watch out! Especially after last weeks warmup. I sure a heck am not going to be first in line on foreign territory lakes

This year I've made myself a set of nice, inexpensive ($3) ice picks...it can't hurt to have them and it is a cheap insurance policy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts