Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73 el tigre 440 quad plug that sucks down the gas. I burn about half a tank in about an our of just over average riding( 3/4 throotle in half foot of snow). what kind of things can i do to keep it running the same but use less gas. Thanks

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
jet for day to day riding, run the track a little on the loose side, make sure the chain isnt to tight. check ski alignment, check track alignment. make sure carbs are synched, check plug gap. run good fuel, check timing, make sure floats are set equal, check needle and seat so they are not leaking. check compression to see that the cylinders are equal, check stock clutch springs for sag and wear. install more idler wheels, or new slides with little holes in them. check clutch alignment. that should be a good start.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The amount of fuel you use directly correlates to how far you have the flipper pushed towards the bar. If your easy on the flipper, you will get much better fuel mileage. Smooth movements, no snoX-braaap-braap ing and you will get much better milage.

-Dean

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do i sync my carbs? can i do it myself? Remember it's a 1973 el tigre 440 and it has mikuni round slide carbs 34.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
All you do is adjust the cables,stick your fingers into the mouth of the carbs,give it a little throttle,this will tell you if both carbs start to move at the same time,if not adjust the cables till they match.as far as gas milage,i owned two of these sleds and both were hard on gas.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if you want to keep it stock it is going to be hard on gas. those old girls had to have a set of pipes put on them to smarten them up and it didnt matter whether it was kawasaki or suzzuci. it was a lot of screwing around but you could make it happen but a yamaha would still beat you till this day i hate yamahas after having them make me walk suspension breakdown not engine best gas milage so far polaris but i say next year omc buyout by doo doo will have them yeller fellers pushing 18 mpg can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts