Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have advice on fighting snowmobile tickets?

Me - being the idiot I am - got 3 tickets in one stop!

I had no insurance, no trail pass, and no ownership. [confused]

I know I shouldnt have gone on any trail without that stuff, but I had just pretty much built the sled from scratch, and it was my first time really taking it out. I didnt want to spend all of the $ on the right documentation if my sled was going to blow up the first trip! I also did not want to go on the trail at all, but was with a pack of guys that did - majority rules!!

I now have court on Monday to try to fight these tickets!!

Anyone have any experience fighting tickets? Any advice? Really cant afford the $700 in tickets!!

Thanks all!

[thumb]

·
Registered
567 Posts
you have to have that stuff to ride the trails wow try to tell the judge exactly what you told us if its a home biult kind of thing theres really no way to get "ownership" idk in wyomung all you need it a 25 dollar trail permit

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I think the only thing you can argue your way out of is on the ownership issue. Tell the judge that you built it from scratch and it was NOT a sled until you put it all together...that it was just aluminum,a track,skis,shocks etc. Other than that, move to Alaska where you can ride wherever you want without having to worry about a trail cop always on your a$$.[:D] Good luck!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You knew the law and ignored it.

Man up and pay the fine.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Beg and plead with the DA on your case to settle it with the least expensive ticket. Admit your guilt and man up. Courts will look at you a bit different.

Sounds like they are all violations that could have been avoided. If you use it on state trails, then you should have gotten a State Registration using the tunnel ID (VIN) prior to riding on the trail. That would have shown you own the sled.

I've been guilty of the same though. Testing out a sled to make sure it won't blow up. Never been caught but I'm always a little nervous.

D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not sure there's much anyone can do for ya. You obviously live, or were riding, where insurance is required. That is NOT the story everywhere, although personally I feel that it's best to have some coverage, I know of people that don't bother. The trail pass, there's really not much you can argue or fight on that, caught on trail without means ticket. AS stated, you might be able to find some room to work on the ownership issue as stated above, but it sounds kind of like a technicality, and I don't know if the average person would split hairs quite like that. Too bad all that adds up so fast, I feel for you, but based on what you tell us, you're probably on the hook for all of it. Guess you can call it a learning experience, probably won't make those mistakes again, huh?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no kidding...i fully realize the idiot move i pulled, and definitely learned my lesson. Hopefully I can get that point across on monday!

Ive been to court for speeding tickets (in a car) and one time i got a strict judge, and the other I got a nice one who let me off.

Hopefully I get a nice one Monday!

Thanks for the advice fellas!

p.s alaska is sounding GREAT right now - can you sled there all year??

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Insurance, and Trail Pass you're pretty much s#1t out of luck.
If you have the sled registered when you go to Court, they'll probably drop the ownership issue.
That's about the best you can hope for.

Rick

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
bugzar said:
no kidding...i fully realize the idiot move i pulled, and definitely learned my lesson. Hopefully I can get that point across on monday!

Ive been to court for speeding tickets (in a car) and one time i got a strict judge, and the other I got a nice one who let me off.

Hopefully I get a nice one Monday!

Thanks for the advice fellas!

p.s alaska is sounding GREAT right now - [highlight=green]can you sled there all year[/highlight=green]??
I wish I could tell you that we could..haha. Where I live, there is probably 4 months where we can't ride. June,July,August,September.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If you built the sled, somewhere along the line you bought a tunnel with a serial number on it. A bill of sale for that should clear up the ownership issue.

What state/province do you live in?

·
Registered
108 Posts
if you would have gone and got insurance, a trail permit and proof of ownership a few days after the tickets you might have a chance of getting off... i know in my if you get a ticket for no insurance and you have like 24 hrs to get it back on and they will dismiss it...most of the time. just remember that all the tickets that are written to snowmobilers are nothing but revenue generators and given the current state of the economy you might get screwed bigtime.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Get a lawyer... Pay him $250 to get the tickets dropped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts