Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go to the Black Hills, or to the mountains this winter. I don't think my 94 Indy 500 SKS EFI will take me where I want to go. I had a friend tell me that he had a 98 600 RMK for sale, around $3000. Do you guys think I would like this sled and are they fairly reliable, or should I just try my 500 up there? I really like that fact that my 500 is fuel injected, it starts off everytime. I don't have any more info about the sled, but I'd look into it a little closer depending on your opinions.
I'm not a big guy, 6' 150lbs, so I don't need a huge sled to get me around.
Thanks for the help.
Eric

·
Registered
243 Posts
The black hills doesn't have huge mountains. Personally I think the 500 will go where you want it to. A lot of that just depends on riding style. You can pick your way around or you can find an open hillside and hoseclamp the throttle. When you are hillclimbing like that, the 500 won't keep up with the bigger sleds, but I'ld be willing to bet you will still make it over the top in the black hills!

If you are going to higher elevations than that though I would get the bigger sled. The elevation costs you a lot in power efficiency and the higher you go the less power your motor will make.

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Maybe you can borrow it and take both sleds to see if you need a new one. I would hate to spend 3 grand if you didn't need to just for one trip. Or take the 500 this year and see how things go.

My .02 but of course I am pretty cheap and practical.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 500 will do great out there. There isn't anything huge to worry about and they don't get a massive amount of snow. So an sks with a 1" track would get around great. Enjoy then make a trip farther west next year.

Thanks Scott

93 XLT chassis/
97 Rotax 800
Great Falls MT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your opinions guys, now I just need to get a trip to the Hills lined up and I'll be set. Maybe by next year I'll have enough money saved up and I can buy a bigger sled and go west.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Originally posted by confusedguy
[br]id just rent a sled. it would be cheaper than a new one or hauling yours out there..
I agree. If, you plan a trip like this, you want to have the right equipment. While I have never ridden the Black Hills, I would still highly recommend renting a mountain sled. You won't regret it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts