Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 Polaris Indy 400 that was working great until this week. It seams to be getting to much fuel, if my tech takes the bolt of on the case ful comes out. There is also some wetness on the exhaust. Repair guy cleaned the carbs, needles etc and the skidoo ran for a few minutes then stalled again. He seams to think that there is an issue with the hummm what are those called....needle gates, flood but those were replaced last year by the previous owner. Can this be, can it be the same issue again?

·
Registered
632 Posts
needle and seats maybe. Just cuz they are new last year doesnt mean they cant go bad this year.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Fuel pump has nothing to do with it. Your needle & seat are the first thing to check and most likely will need to be replaced. They can fail with low mileage on them.

·
Registered
572 Posts
too much fuel is not a fuel pump issue. sounds more like a needle and seat issue. thats what lets the fuel in. if it was a fuel pump it would be starving. needle and seat controls what comes into the bowl according to the float. thats what i would lean toward.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I say a hole in diaphram of the fuel pump. It will gravity feed into the case through the pulse line. Then when running the pulse signal is to week to keep it running. I could be wrong but it is worth checking.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
X2 on the cracked diaphragm in the fuel pump. Also could have a float stuck. Bite the bullet and go through the entire fuel system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all your input....looks like it might be the needle valve again.... tech will replace it tonight so will see what it does then.....thanks everyone ...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Following that same issue with my 680 triple after a cylinder repair. Sled doesn't stall but is boggy and a ton of fuel dumps out when removing the drain plugs.

Todd.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
fuel pump diaphragm, needles and seats, and the third no one thinks about is a waterlogged float, or basically a float that doesn't float. And finally, if the vent to the fuel tank is plugged, the pressure built up inside the tank will overcome the needles and seats and force fuel into the engine no matter how good the needles and seats are.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check your choke cables. Turned out to be my problem. Got lucky and found it before tearing apart the carbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts