Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's my question guys. Can you replace a pulled out stud with another one or is it just a waste of time since it will most likely just rip out again? Since the track where the stud was is already ripped. A few broken ones that I have, should I go ahead and replace the broken ones no matter what? Thanks again guys for all the help.
Shawn[8D]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If your replacing broken/snapped off studs, it will be fine since it didn't harm the track.
The studs that pulled-through i would just leave alone unless the holes appear solid enough to put one back in.
And just as a side note for those interested: never use a typical drill bit to make new holes for studs. They shred the chords and leave a rough cut that is a weak foundation for studs. Use the correct track-cutting tool as it makes a smooth sleek cut that is less likely to get weak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Megaman,
Thanks for the quick response. I had a feeling that was the only way to go since they ripped out once and now that there's a slight tear in the track, they would just rip out again and it would be a waste of money. But I will definitely now replace the broken ones. Thanks for all the help.
Shawn

·
Registered
227 Posts
I second what Megaman said, the track cutting tool is a must it burns the track, like clotterizing a cut.
Also replace broken or bent studs.
j-2-800

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
keep an eye on it after you lose 1 or 2, when that happened to mine they started to fly out like popcorn. the track must get weaker after a pile of miles. had to get a new track, ouch.......

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Xtant23, there is a company out there that repairs tracks after you tear out a stud or two. They do a good job from what I hear. I don't think you put a stud back in once you repair it but it aleviates lots of other stress in the track. Here's an URL. They are in NY State

http://www.carrolltech.com/index.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts