Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of snow here in Maine, but it is too freakin' cold to go outside! Middle of the day the temp is just edging up above zero, and the wind chill is still well below zero.

Oh well, since I work from home it takes away the temptation to go riding when I should be working...

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's insanse cold up here too.. right now it's -13*F or -25*C and it's SUNNY out.. I dunno with the wind chill were talking around -29*F or -34*C.. these are MID-DAY when it's sunny temps..

·
Registered
312 Posts
well listend to this ,, it was under -34 all week-end and that was without the wind chill factor -40 to -46 with wind,, i wanted to go out but do to what happened on the week-end (read death on the week-end post to find out)i didn't hesitate to even touch my machine , but i was out there last night with a -41 with wind chill and i couldn't go to far ,the water in my eyes were freezing up and i could barely see were i was going.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yes, very cold here too. Supposed to be -29 F Below tonight. It is about -13 F now.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by scottjohnson
[br]Oh well, since I work from home it takes away the temptation to go riding when I should be working...
Dress warm, in layers, use good heated sheild helmet, and keep it closed, and don't ride alone.

I rode 2 days, weeks ago and the 500 XC started on the 3rd pull at -33 C.

Lets see an RX-1 do that wihtout bringing the crankcase oil inside the motel.

Bush pilots up north do that with those old Beavers, drain the oil and put it next to the wood stove, then pour it in in the morning.

Ride man...if you got snow you gotta ride.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i can guarantee you that there ain't no t-cat 1000 that'll start on the 3rd crank at -31 , hehheheh believe me, i almost ripped my arms off ,, the compression is REALLY crazzy

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm super lucky when it comes to that.. My sled sleeps in the garage (it's heated)..

The 800 twins are a bear to pull when it's extra cold too..

·
Registered
312 Posts
ya that's my next purchase , i was thinking of getting that new Honda Rubicon 500 ATV ,, but i think my sled needs a garage first ,, actually my body can't handle that cold , heheh i need the garage , who am i kidding here ,

·
Registered
975 Posts
And here next Monday they're calling for rain. What's that $hit about!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like the cold, but come on! Rode this weekend and got frostbite on my neck. Never had frostbite in my life. Forgot my balcava when I got to the lake. I was a little cold, but not that bad. Stopped every so often to warm up at the establishments. Next morning, my neck was dark red and nasty looking. Be careful and dress to the hilt in this deep freeze. Later.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Acadian,
I didn't have any problems starting my T-Cat at -22F a couple of weeks ago. Put on the choke second pull she fired right up. I think the big triples probably start better than most of the machines out there. OK that counter balanced crank is heavy but at times it comes in handy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
2 cranks and it started in -22F, either your one hell of a man or you don't have aNYTHING near the compression that i have ,,
First of all , the 2 first cranks ,, i can't even pull it all the way back through the pull ,, i have to go real slow , it's CRAZZY , i had several poeple try and crank it , and when it get's under -30 it's at least 5 to 8 cranks just before she starts to ease up ,, then another 2 to 3 cranks and then she starts , but NO WAY with 3 cranks,,, if so i'd GIVE my machine to the MAN that could start the thing with 2 cranks at -30 or lower

·
Registered
23 Posts
i live here in maine, the cold isnt that bad... i dont haev a face mask in my helmet, its old motorcycle one, i can bear it. I love this weather! makin great ice too for fish'n also, my 89 skidoo safari starts first pull in this weather, just gotta give'r some gas to get'r goin!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a face mask but can't close it, because my glasses keep fogging up. Still have not found a way to keep that from happening.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its been 5 above here( sw new hampshire) .I have a xc 600(triple) the first two pulls want to rip my arms off but then it fires up...we got two feet of snow new years for a week ...need another 6 "inches now to make it nice.amazing how much better my sled runs w/ it this cold.(its liquid ?)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Welcome to my world, in the winter it hardly gets above zero.....without the windchill! I saw on the news that somewhere in the northeast it was like 60 below with the windchill, well boys and girls I have seen ambiant temps of anywhere from 55 to 60f below i.e - no wind. Trust me you get used to it after awhile!!!!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I have decided again that weather people are (R). The forcast here is -20 tomorrow, -19 Friday, -19 Saturday, 1 on Sunday. And those are all in celsius readings. They figure from -19 to +1 overnight. That is just dumb.

·
Registered
23 Posts
no, no its not... early in the evenin it will be around -19, later towards mabye 5-7 ;am it will be around -19 just before the su n comes up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts