Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Would it be alright to use a gasket sealant on a torn Top-end head gasket? And also the recommended adjustments for Mikuni Carbonators: what is the recommended procedure for one over sized cylinder .010 bore on a 580 std. 95 XLT Special. Would I have to replace my jets, and if so, is there anyone that knows of a good dealer for the recommended size jet replacement?” What happend to the piston, was that it seized due to a lean fuel-air mixture. Anyways, that is what my cousin told me. My cousin is a certified aircraft mechanic, and is partially assisting me in rebuilding my sled. Any advice would sure help a lot...Thanks [?]

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well it "would" be alright if you are 100% certain that you can seal it back up perfectly. But i'm not that kind of gambling guy. I'd spend the few xtra bucks and get a top end gasket kit to be on the safe side. If it was caused by a lean mixture, a leaking gasket could be the problem that made it run lean. I would also check the crankshaft seals for possible damage which may cause air leaks. Carb adjustments are pretty simple, 1 and 1/2 turns out on the air screw and sync the throttles and you should be ready to rock and roll. The "e" clip on the needle should be in the center position for most stock sleds. It wouldnt hurt to run a few jet sizes larger than what is in it now to hopefully alleviate the lean seizure problem. Then later on if you arrive at the conclusion your runnin too rich after youve gotten it broken in, you can jet back down until your plug insulators look like they are a "cardboard brown" color. If you dont want to change jet sizes, you can lower the "e" clip position on the needle a couple notches which would richen the midrange, but still not cure the WOT lean condition. Its better just to get bigger jets. Anyplace that sells motorcycles, sleds, atv's can get the jets you need. The should have them in stock and ready for purchase. Hopefully i answered all your questions, if not feel free to ask some more.

·
Registered
777 Posts
No,replace the gskt,jetting will be the same for 1st oversize.and for sure ,determine the cause of the lean burndown,unless you want to do it again,
where all the plugs white,just one.disasemble carbs ,clean out all the passages.if your talking base gskt,that might be the culprit.was there a hole in the piston.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts