Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so more questions on the 05 xc sp
redoing the top end, crank is out and ready to be shipped out, planning on going to indy specialties, any thoughts on that? from what ive read here and other sites, hes A+ work.
so doing the whole top end, had quotes of between 225-250 for the cylinder replating, found a new oem cylinder for 270. so thats on the way.
looking for recommendations on pistons and gaskets.
im putting the money into this sled and doing it right the first time, so want to put the money where its best needed. i have always run spi but have been recommended oem on this sled.
also whos gasket sets are best, widerosa, oem, cometic.......??
are boyesson, yes i know i spelled it wrong, worth installing? the motor had 5000 on it so im sure reeds could use refreshing, think its worth it? thought about v-force but have read they arent worth the $$
thanks for any input

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
225-250 is awfully high unless there is welding and machining that needs to be done.

what i have done for people in the past is send them in under my account. then when they are finished i call and tell you what the amount is. then you send me a check. when i get the check your cylinders ship out. on average i save people 25-50 dollars per cylinder depending on the amount of damage.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there was welding needing done on that cylinder, there was a nice gouge up one side. i talked to millenium and thats what they quoted me,and they say they always do quote high so theres no surprise. if id have known then yes im sure dealer prices are less. i was looking around for used cylinders and came acroos the brand new one for 270. figured what the heck. and millenium will buy my old cylinder because its a casting number they dont have in stock, so for less then repairing mine ill have a brand new one. but now that i think of it maybe ill keep it and have you send it out so i have a spare on the shelf.
reguardless the cylinder is already on the way. just need input on pistons gaskets and crank work.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
We have always had the best luck with OEM pistons and gaskets. The OEM pistons are cast and most of the after markets seem to be forged. The forged pistons seem to expand unevenly and need additional clearance compared to a cast piston. Also after market gaskets are pretty generic, and not year or model specific. They don't allow for small changes that were made as the engine went through upgrades from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
idk if weisco makes pro-lite pistons for sleds. for quads and bikes there great, if you wanna get a good crank check out falcon cranks for a stroker crank. i had good luck with them making me a kit. then it became a turbo stroker motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts