Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 700 xc dlx. It has a seized left cylinder and piston. My question is what is a fair price to pay for a rebuild. I was given an estimate of around $800. This included a new cylinder, Piston Kit, gaskets, ect.

I asked about boring out the cylinder, and the guy said with these cylinders that they were Nickel plated and would be cheaper to buy the new cylinder than to bore it out.

What do you guys think is $800 a fair price?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I think it is a little high... Piston is $100, jug is prolly what, $200, and bearings, shop time, etc. I think it should be closer to $500 US.

-Dean

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but around NH the going rate for boring goes between $40.-$60. I'm sure a cylinder much be much more for the part.
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
the cyl. will b more then 200 mine for a xcr 600 sp. just for one cyl. is $200 US

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have just gone through this whole scenaro with my xc 700 fist thats way to much you can have your cylinder replated for 150 bucks a new cylinder costs 399 gaskets 30 bucks the most and if you have any mechanical ability its a real simple job save yourself andother 300 bucks in labor so if its just one cylinder it should only cost 300 bucks for everything including piston thats going with the high price

·
Registered
975 Posts
Where I am is $500 a hole

·
Registered
253 Posts
500 canadian dollars not sure what that is in american but , it aint 800 that the shop he went to was asking thats a ripoff or they were doing more work then we know about ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your responses guys,

This is how he broke down the numbers
cylinder = $419
Piston Kit = $100
Gaskets/ Pin/ seals etc = $45
Labor = around $200
total = $765

So the cylinder is jacking the price way up. What can I do if the cylinder is Nickel plated, do I need to get a new one? If not how would I go about getting it bored out and re-plated?

Thanks
Fred

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just went through this with my 99 XC700SP. One jug and piston went bad. Polaris shop gave me estimate of ~$1200.00 just for the one side! You are right, the cyclinder is the expensive part. You don't need a whole new cylinder, they can be re-sleeved. Sleeves are about $100. Get a wiesco piston kit and top end gasket kit. Find a reputable engine rebuild shop and they can do the work for you. I got BOTH sides completely done for $800.00. Scoots pretty good now.[:p]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts