Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange occurance over the weakend with my 1996 skidoo skandic 500 fan cooled. I normally can get to 70mph with 2 people but was only able to get to 40mph. How could this happen? Could it be a belt? a cleaning of the carb or what?? We are getting snow tonight and I would like to get by tomorrow. Please help...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
check your plugs and belt... and compression...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugs are good, compression is 120psi in each cylinder. The belt doesn't look worn. Incidently the sled has very low miles, approx 2000.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's odd...Mine would only go that fast, but my cylinder was scored =/...If you have that much compression I doubt that's what is wrong with yours. Maybe clean the carbs? Check spark plug wires...check for spark in each cylinder.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sounds like maybe a sticky secondary clutch??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good call on checking the secondary Daver, but you need to do a run tast on the plugs also.
Run it for about 30 seconds at full throttle and kill it while you are holding the throttle. After you hit the killswitch release the throttle, let it coast to a stop and pull the plugs.

Do a color check to see how the cyls are running.

From what you are describing you could be having any one of many faults.

Does it slow down really fast when you let off the gas?? I had a buddy who left his brake lock on for too long, and it overheated the shaft and ate-up his shaft bearing.

Any unusual noises??

Didn't get any grease on your slides did you??

Could be lotsa stuff.

Let us know how things go.

(o;

DNO.

·
Registered
506 Posts
does the engine still sound like it used to?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The parking brake is not locked and it does sound like it used to. Well I just cleaned the carbs and they looked REALLY Clean, blew out the main and pilot jet, they looked okay but I did it anyway. I am noticing that is harder to start than usual, not requires some carb cleaner to get her going. How do I check the spark? Will pulling the plugs out and looking for spark at the end work? What is the easiest way to change the belt?? I have an extra one and have never done it before. Please expalin in detail. With all of the input I will try to get her on the snow tomorrow as we got 7 inches of snow in Detroit last night.. Thanks for all of the input.[^]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
There is a topic on changing a belt, Pman went through the whole thing with pictures... You can search for that, or it may be in the help section. For the plugs, Pull them out and put them in the boot, and place them on the top of the engine, You will need another set of eye probably. Pull the sled over and look at the gap and see if you see a spark... Dont hold the plugs while your doing this...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fuel? Does it run as usual up to 1/2 throttle and then no extra power? Fuel filter partialy plugged? Do you have plenty of gasoline coming from fuel pump? Is the fuel pickup in the tank working?
Throttle slides opening all the way?
Mice make a nest in your airbox or exhaust pipe?
I realize that you said you had 120 psi cyl pressure and everything should be OK but are you aware that if you remove the cooling shroud you can remove the heads on that engine and look right at the top of the pistons/cyls without having to replace a head gasket? They use an O-ring in a groove and seal well even if they are not not new.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i kinda had the same problem i could get over a hundred out of my sks and then it started to loose power and i had trouble getting over 80 after pushing it to get more speed my belt broke put the new one on and back up to 100 easy..my belt still looked new right before it broke so i guess looks can be decieving..

·
Registered
671 Posts
yes belts can be decieving, i had that happen on my xlt, it startedto run like shit, it felt like plugs were bad, i changed em, i did a bunch of things, funally i changed my spare belt, and damn, everything was back just like that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Change your fuel filter as it is probably plugged with ice or sludge. Run some gas line antifreeze through it.
Also it could be that you air box prefilter is plugged up with snow. Had that happen to me before.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Make sure that you don't have a leak in the impulse line to the fuel pump. I cleaned my carbs, rebuilt fuel pump the whole works once. Still ran like shit and needed starting fluid to start it. Sometimes it would run good other times no. Had a small leak where the hose rubbed on the frame only $.50 to fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts