Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I just started working on my 94 safari 377 to get it ready for winter and was just wondering what top speed should be on it. I think my belt is toast because i was idleing too high last season at one point and burned the belt and it seemed to not be going as fast? Would that have change top end much? Also is there anything i can do to make it a bit faster, i already changed the slides since they were worn and i will be putting ski skins on aswell figuring it will be better on sticky snow. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
nick

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
A friend of mine used to have a Safari 377, man was that a tough little sled! I seem to remember it doing some where around 85 mph on top end.

Yes, a worn belt can significantly affect your top end speed. As to what else you can do to make it faster......well, I with that sled your a little limited. Its a great sled and has good speed for its size, but you have to remember it is only a 377 fan cooled. Just make sure everything is clean and adjusted correctly. Make sure your carbs are good and clean as well as being in sync, check your track tension, and make sure none of your idler wheel bearings are sticking. Also be sure to check where in the primary clutch (the larger one) your belt is sitting while the engine is off. You want to be able to see about 1/8 inch or so sticking above the sheaves (the two metal plates of the clutch). But wait untill you have a new belt on before you do this.

Hope this helps.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Nicolas,

I don't think this machine will do 85mph.

I have had 3 machines with this engine and have never seen one do more than 60mph and that is really pushing it.

As Tfin mentioned, they are absolutely bullet proof. We keep 2 of them, a 92 and a 93 at our cottage for guests/spare etc. and they just keep running. The 92 has about 25000km on it and has only been rebuilt once. Unless the 94 is completely different than the 93 I think 60mph is tops for this machine. My sister rides a 2000 Z370 Arctic Cat and it is slightly faster than the Safari and I have a GPS verified top speed of 64.3mph. That was on the road with about 3in. of fresh snow.

Good luck, I know that machine won't let you down.

FZ

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Im guessin that 65 would be about top end on that machine assuming that it has dual carbs. My uncle has a 2001 ski-doo 380 legend and that tops out at 70...so assuming that technology has come a little ways since the 90's i am figureing that the new engine has a little more HP to go that extra 5 mph or so.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My mom has a 1988 Safari, SHe has gotten up to 60 -70 I believe but dont take that seriously they are great sleds but she got a little adrenaline rush and thought she was in snowcross. My mom go to this jump between farms with me and my friend. Great jump some were getting 10-20 air but Me being a beginner didnt do too much but her with her safari takes the jump fast enough to get a few feet of air landing was not so cool though. She cracked the hood and the light arm(not sure what its called inside hood that holds light up) cracked so we had to temporaly fix that with some duct tape.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well, my memory may not be as good as it used to be
For some reason I thought that I remembered it doing 80-85 mph. It was quite some time ago, and as everyone know, speedometers rarely tell the truth. So it sounds like closer to 70 mph would be all you could hope for.

Great sled though!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i got a 1991 skidoo safari LE, wich is a 2 up, fastest i've got it is 65 mph, in perfect conditions.

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
hi guys i also hade a 377 but it was a citation middle or late 80s but yes it was a runner dependable i think it was about 70 top end would still have it but it blew bout 6 or 7 thousand miles on it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts