Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
100 or 125? I was thinking about getting a dirtbike this summer, i've never had one before so thought i'd start kinda small...I'm 16 and short, so I think it'd be better this way, until I get good at riding then i'll get bigger. Anyways, what are the top speeds for a 100 or 125 dirtbike? any help is appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Go with the 125, you won't mind owning it for awhile..the 100 you can grow out of quicker. I owned a 100 when I was 12, the next year I went to YZ 400. The 100 is just not enough bike IMO, top speed....well I have seen anywhere from 50 to 70/80 mph on a 125. Just depends on the make and year of the bike really, got anything in particular in mind??

·
Registered
671 Posts
what are ya lookin for, a fourstroke, or a 2? you gonna ride trails, roads, motocross? they make bikes for all types, gotta give a lottle mroe info to get the best choices

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
An XR 100 is what i learned to ride on. Then switched to a CR 80R. Wow, huge difference! The XR was great to learn how to ride on, and to jump and balance and stuff. The CR was alot taller, extremely fast and jumps like the wind. The CR 80R went about 75 mph. The XR was less than 50. You will grow out of the 100 really quick, but it is really reliable and takes no maintenance. A great starter bike. The CR race bikes take alot more maintenance, but the performance is amazing. The powerband of the CR kicks in like a ton of bricks and pulls a wheelie through the first 4 gears. The hard part is learning to control the ON/OFF demeanor of it's power. There's no happy medium, it's wide open throttle or no throttle. A 125 is a nice upgrade from 80. IMO.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
16 and how short? I know of many guys who race 125 and use blocks at the starting gate...being short isn't much of an excuse. Go for a 125. Top speeds don't mean jack, unless you stud it up and ride on the ice; with modified 14/47 vs 13/52 gearing my 125 will pull about 85mph. The 100's have snappier power than the 125's. If you got any questions about motocross theres me and a few others here who race.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i have had an 80cc, 100cc and now im on a 125 first two were xr stroks great to learn probably to small for a 16 year old a nice bike for trail riding would be a xr 200 or xr 250 if you want to spend the little extra for dicks bracks and little more tuned engine a 2504 stroke is almost on par with a 125 just a little faster and less matanence but if you want a power band that will have to screamin for more got 2 stroke

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by xlt
[br]what are ya lookin for, a fourstroke, or a 2? you gonna ride trails, roads, motocross? they make bikes for all types, gotta give a lottle mroe info to get the best choices
Probably riding trails, just around my house and stuff (i live across the street from trails). What are the pro's and cons for a fourstroke and 2-stroke Dirtbike? Oh ya i'm 5'6.

·
Registered
671 Posts
well a four stroke u can just throw in gas and go. most of the new 2 strokes, if im not mistakin all of em you have to mix gas. a fourstroke will prolly be more reilable. the 4's usually have less maintence then a 2. theres prolly alot mroe but im still half a sleep

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
it doesn't matter for maintence on either the high performance 2 or 4 strokes, you will still have to spend plety of time with each. Remember the thumpers have more moving parts and actually redline higher. It's nice to have a thumper on the trails because you can just go to the gas station a fill with straight gas. Thumpers are more expensive and somewhat more difficult to find (I'd suggest the YZF250, and right now only yami makes a 250 so they are more difficult to find because everyone wants one) 5'6" is tall enough for a full size bike, you'd be maxing it out on a 100.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just thinking someting smaller to learn on (i've never owned a dirt bike before) So I think i'm thinking about getting a 125 2-stroke.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]. Thumpers are more expensive and somewhat more difficult to find (I'd suggest the YZF250, and right now only yami makes a 250 so they are more difficult to find because everyone wants one)
Ummmm, what about the DRZ250 by Suzuki? IMO, that would be a better bike for a beginner anyways. the YZF is more track oriented, while the DRZ was made for the trails.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Also, I'm not quite sure why you are so interested in the top end on a dirt bike, that you said would be used for trail riding. I have a DOT legal DR250 that has ONLY seen something close to top end on the street. No room out in the one track woods.

The first thing I do with any four stroke is gear down the front a tooth there-by taking away top end (for more low end, grunt, grunt). The top end just isn't needed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My nephew has a KX100 that rips! Pulls the front wheel first thru forth gear no problem. The new 2 strokers are way snottier than the ones I grew up riding. The 2 strokers are great for revving the snot out of, but the 4 stroking thumpers have the low end torque for slow twisty trail riding. If you're going to be blowing through some fields or have some open trails, the 2 stroker is my choice. If you're going through some serious woods with tight trails, maybe the 4 stroker is more your type. Go to some local dealers and sit on some bikes to see what you feel comfortable with. Then buy yourself a dam good fullface helmet!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by pigboy
[br]Also, I'm not quite sure why you are so interested in the top end on a dirt bike, that you said would be used for trail riding. I have a DOT legal DR250 that has ONLY seen something close to top end on the street. No room out in the one track woods.

The first thing I do with any four stroke is gear down the front a tooth there-by taking away top end (for more low end, grunt, grunt). The top end just isn't needed.
The trails I live by aren't twisty or anything, I could probably get it full out easily.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by MAYDAZE
[br]My nephew has a KX100 that rips! Pulls the front wheel first thru forth gear no problem. The new 2 strokers are way snottier than the ones I grew up riding. The 2 strokers are great for revving the snot out of, but the 4 stroking thumpers have the low end torque for slow twisty trail riding. If you're going to be blowing through some fields or have some open trails, the 2 stroker is my choice. If you're going through some serious woods with tight trails, maybe the 4 stroker is more your type. Go to some local dealers and sit on some bikes to see what you feel comfortable with. Then buy yourself a dam good fullface helmet!!
I was thinking the same thing, get a 2-stroke, since I'm not gonna be riding tight trails or woods, alot of wide open field and open trails around here.

·
Registered
253 Posts
hold on here so you are saying a stock 125 or 80 will do 75 mph I do not see that possable I have a moified banshee that will pull 82-85 mph pushing 70 horse to the rear wheels I have raced brand new rm 250 and he couldnt keep up with me and top end I lost him .So I have to question this speed .The other thing is speed is irrelivant unless you just want to fly around open streches for me thats not my thing I go with as lower gearing and track riding and the occasional sand pits with new england style hill climbs that are 90 % hills that are 20 -100 feet of hold on riding If your 16 and your short you are better off getting the cr 125 they have a model that is smaller then the normal 125

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
honda does not have a "small 125", they are all the same size. But they do have a bigwheel 80....

My 02 CR125, 13/51 stock, will do about 70-75mph and when I went to a 14/47 gearing for ice riding it'll pull about 85

1 - 18 of 18 Posts