Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '92 formula plus will haul ass to about 60 MPH. Then it slowly chugs to about 80 for the top end speed. This 580 -doo is totally clean and runs great. However, I would like to hit the 90-95 range with it...any suggestions aside from engine modifications? Should I regear? Clutch work a novice can perform? Are the clutches even working properly? Is anyone out there familiar with this sleds performance characteristics? I did get rid of the wide 16'' track, which added 2-3 MPH. Thanks for any advice in advance.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Without riding it or hearing it, i would say that you have a problem with the clutches being dirty or with the belt being worn. You should be getting to 90 on speedo IMO with out any problem. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if its got alot of bottom end already maybe go up a gear??

·
Registered
133 Posts
i agree with darkstar that sled should hit at least 90 without much problem.a new helix and spring might fix you up.was'nt it in 91 when bombardier guaranteed their mach 1 was the fastest thing on snow.oops unfortunately for them that was the year a/c came out with their w/c 650 and Armand J, had to do a hop up on all the mach 1's lol.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Definately the clutching. I wouldn't change gearing unless your getting to top speed real fast and your sure your clutches are totally engaging.

Nervous Energy Where did you get that saying "nothing grunts like a rotax" Ive never heard of that. But it reminded me of my old TNT, only I was the one grunting back then. :D Sleds have come a long way from those old snomobile suit suckers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
first of all i would like to correct what i said about bombardier guaranteed there mach one kickin ass in 91 it was the first year that a/c made the widcat 650,was that in 88? I cant remember where i heard that saying but it stuck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
how does the belt look? are the clutches opening and closing to their fullest potential? take a sharpie, and draw a black like from the inside to the outside of the primary and secondary clutch sleave, run it for a bit, and stop and take a look at the line, if you see the line and its faded the entire length, then the clutches are working properly, there should be no line, or a barley noticable one. If however you see like a half inch or what not on the outside of the primary, and like the same on the secondary, then it is a clutch problem. If no line, it could be geared differently, but check the belt first, how old is it, how many miles on it, I change mine every winter before the riding season, 50 bucks or so is worth the piece of mind, and it needs to be done anyways, hope that helps you, oh, one more thing, look at the clutch sleaves to see if there is any rubber on them, that is the first sign of a worn belt

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yep,sounds like clutching.
You will need to know if it is shifting out.
Check the alignment too.
Be sure you've got the correct belt and that it is not worn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts