Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if some of you have Kids or wife or someone that ride a mxz380 or something similar. I was looking at one for my girl friend, she doesn't need that much power, but would like the elec. start and reverse.

I was curious what the top speed was on this sled. As I said she doesn't need to be that fast, but I would like her to have enough power to at least keep up on the trails, without running the thing wide open all day.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
A buddy of mine has got an old 91 polaris indy 340, he can hit about 60 to 70 wide open. I know polaris put there 340 in the edge chassis this year, not sure about the electric start or reverse though.......Might consider a 500, there not to fast and not to slow - kind of in the middle!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't put an adult on anything less than a 440 fan if you want them to "keep up with you on the trail". Anything smaller than a 440 and you will probably be doing a lot of waiting...

Just my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary...

1998 Arctic Cat Cougar
1999 Arctic Cat Z 440
1995 Ski Doo Formula STX LT

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my old polaris tx-l 340 (1980) will crack 85 no problem it has no problems keeping up on the trails at all

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I think I would go with a 440 liquid...

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I do believe that the Indy XC 340 comes with reverse but if you want Electric Start you have to buy it seperate. In both articles I have read about them they say they are great beginner sleds, light, good handling and good power.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well guys I have ridden a 2001 ski-doo delux 380 with electric start and the electronic reverse. The sled will hit 70 on a long flat strech, but on the trails this sled does just fine, It has a nice ride is stingy on oil and gas, and unless you guys have perfectly straight trails and no corners, this sled does just fine. Of course we ride trails between 25-50 mph depending on conditions and the 380 has no problem keeping up. Unless you are the guys who always go screaming by me on the trails (with a death wish) i'd say thats plenty and not to knock on the women riders but also easier for her to start if it doesnt have electric start. Just my opinion

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My father-outlaw has a touring-e long track, it did 57 mph on the radar gun. I'm thinking a MXZ should be lighter and geared a little different, maybe 65 mph.

"tie wrap it wide open"

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by TriumphoverU:
Well guys I have ridden a 2001 ski-doo delux 380 with electric start and the electronic reverse. The sled will hit 70 on a long flat strech, but on the trails this sled does just fine, It has a nice ride is stingy on oil and gas, and unless you guys have perfectly straight trails and no corners, this sled does just fine. Of course we ride trails between 25-50 mph depending on conditions and the 380 has no problem keeping up. Unless you are the guys who always go screaming by me on the trails (with a death wish) i'd say thats plenty and not to knock on the women riders but also easier for her to start if it doesnt have electric start. Just my opinion

[/quote]

Hey Tman, is that 70 mph radar tested? I think that seems a little fast, I could be wrong tho. My 377 can only do 60 mph in the very best conditions. And thats on the speedo so it could be even less. Mind you it is a '91 and could be tuned a little better...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I recently bought a '97 380 fan for my daughter, electric start but no reverse. My partner took it for a boot up and down the laneway the other week and said it has a lot of pep; we think she'll be really happy with it. Last year she was riding an '84 340 fan and she was getting 100kph on the lakes. (that's about 60mph).

Jacqui.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My wife has a 92 Indy 340 Long track with electric start and reverse. Sled has quite a bit of power, good in deep snow, good on gas.

Top speed is about 60. Only problem on the trails is when there are ruts. Sled is too light and likes to follow rather than drive!

My opinion would be a 440.

CD

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well no it wasnt radar tested, but the speedo on my Triumph and the speedo on that sled were both reading identicle....granted they may be off, but then again it was on a hard packed road and it took it a long time to get to that speed. i know sled speedos are notorius for being off by quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
just wondering... maybe my sled is just a dog.. Its also a 2 up, but a small one..

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'd say it should go about 70-80 MPH.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well I'd say the sled will do about 65mph on the speedo, but speedo's range about 8% off, so the sled probably does about 60 radar tested.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts