Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know if it was the weather , but while on the lake this week-end , i couldn't seem to get my 97 t-cat any higher then 7400rpm, i don't know how fast i'm going cause the speedo cable is broken ,, but none the less i was wondering if this was caused by the spring in my SECONDARY. Should i slide it over to hole #4 cause i think it's at hole #2 now.
Will this do the trick???

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
didn't sound like it was bogging ,, wich if it was ,,probably would of been caused by wrong jet size ,,,but no it's not bogging i open her up and i'm sure i'm going over 100mph, but ,my RPM's are no more then 74-7500.
And i know they should be in the 82-8600 range. And i thaugh that by backing that secondary spring from the 2nd hole to the 4th hole would solve that????????looking for help on this one

·
Registered
62 Posts
im not to familliar with clutching but i would still think it would top out in rpms or if it was upshifting to quike it would still slowly gain speed and rpms but maybe im wrong

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya but no machine should top out at that low RPM ,, should always be in the mid to high 8000's

·
Registered
62 Posts
hhhmmmm try putting ur old cluthing stuff back in or put it back to where u had it originally and hit the same lake and see what happens then that will tell u whether its ur clutching or motor

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
got a question for u did u speedo cable just stop workin all of a sudden or did u break it? cuz if it just stoped working its a real good indication ur drive axle bearings r goin, weve had that happin a few tiems on us

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Most mashines build optimum HP at about 8200 rpm.once you go over that torque and HP drop.turning to hard allso adds to the stress on the crank berrings.if it was running ok before its probably in your secondary.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
what are things that you changed, sounds like to much wieght or to much helix. or to little of a secondary spring, to soft of a primary spring,
yes turning your helix to hole four should bring it up how much depends on the spring, if it felt like you were going real fast, but only low rpms, i would put the smaller wieghts or helix back in, only one of them.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i didn't change anything in the sled since i've installed my 1000cc engine.
I think it could have been the conditions , the snow was heavy and wet ,, but foud that still 7400 was low.
And as far as the cable goes ,,, i'm pretty sure 100% it's the cable that broke or the pin ,, and not the bearing , cause i've made over 600 miles since the spedo went out ,, and if it was that bearing on the jackshaft , i'm sure it would of shot by now ,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Man, that would bother me I broke a speedo cable a few weekes ago and did not make 100% sure it was a jackshft bearing. For the 15 mins it would take to check it, could save you an injury if it locked up or money in additional repairs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i know what you mean , but i've got the reverse on my sled , and getting grease on those bearings isn't as easy as it looks ,,, so i figured,, if i can make it home(wich was a 60 mile run) then i'm pretty sure it was the cable and not the bearing ,, well i made it home and the bearings on the jackshaft are still intact,,,,,,,,so that's how i made my assumption that it was the cable and not the bearing

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did tyhe problem just start all of a sudder after the sled had been running fine? If so, the problem is most likely, like many have said, in the secondary clutch.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
something happend, put in new stock primary and secondary springs for starters, with new belt, double check center distance, and alignment,

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah it started all of a sudden ,, but when it did happen , it was warmer then usual, maybe around the 0 mark celcius that is , and the snow was wet and heavy so i don't know if that had an influence on it or not ,,,,,,,but i'm gona try slipping the secondary clutch spring a couple holes ,, to hole #4 and see what happens there. cause maybe the spring is getting old.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe the conditions might drop you rpm's a little 1-200rpm's not the 8-1000rpms' you are seeing. It has to be in the clutching, broken secondary spring? bad belt?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts